The Student Room Group

Do Universities take the English Language requirement seriously?

I got a C in English Language and B in English Literature then 2 A's in other writing subjects such as History and RE.
I was just wondering whether Universities can decline an application on the English language requirement alone. As most of the subjects, I would like to take require a B in English language
If anyone can help me with my situation I would really appreciate it.
I would like to take a science course such as medicine or biomedical sciences or neuroscience if this information will help.
(edited 6 years ago)
English is a wasted degree anyway. Do a history degree. I presume these are A levels right?
Reply 2
Original post by VeerVT
I got a C in English Language and B in English Literature then 2 A's in other writing subjects such as History and RE.
I was just wondering whether Universities can decline an application on the English language requirement alone. As most of the subjects, I would like to take require a B in English language
If anyone can help me with my situation I would really appreciate it.

Depends on the uni. I failed english language GCSE and had to retake it this year. York and Hull didn't even mention english language GCSE in their conditional uni offers to me, I asked them by email and when I visited on applicant days and they said that I didn't need it. However, some other unis like Liverpool and Surrey had to pass the english GCSE as part of the conditions of the offer.

So depends on the uni.
Reply 3
Original post by Owain53
Depends on the uni. I failed english language GCSE and had to retake it this year. York and Hull didn't even mention english language GCSE in their conditional uni offers to me, I asked them by email and when I visited on applicant days and they said that I didn't need it. However, some other unis like Liverpool and Surrey had to pass the english GCSE as part of the conditions of the offer.

So depends on the uni.

Okay, thank you for the help.
Reply 4
Original post by That'sGreat
English is a wasted degree anyway. Do a history degree. I presume these are A levels right?

For my A levels I am taking Chemistry, Biology and History
Original post by VeerVT

Ah I see, so they were your gcses? If so, can't you just retake English language?
Reply 6
Original post by That'sGreat
Ah I see, so they were your gcses? If so, can't you just retake English language?

I would like to but I don't know how to get around it. As I am almost finished my first year A levels. Would I still be able to resit?
As a rule, if they state a minimum requirement you will be auto-rejected without it, yes. Just assuming the rules don't apply to you would be pretty silly.

Look into retaking it if you are serious about medicine.
Original post by VeerVT

Finally! Someone whom took the same A-Level choice as me. When I went to all my open days for Biochemistry people found it weird that I took History with the 2 sciences, good luck with your 2nd Year!
Reply 9
Original post by Mrmckeown111
Finally! Someone whom took the same A-Level choice as me. When I went to all my open days for Biochemistry people found it weird that I took History with the 2 sciences, good luck with your 2nd Year!

Thank you so much. Glad to see someone else taking the same A levels as me.
Reply 10
Original post by nexttime
As a rule, if they state a minimum requirement you will be auto-rejected without it, yes. Just assuming the rules don't apply to you would be pretty silly.

Look into retaking it if you are serious about medicine.

I agree with you. I just was wondering whether they find it as important and could
reject someone's admissions who meets their entry requirements for A levels or
has higher grades than necessary.

The only university without the need for GCSE'S is Imperial College London
for medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest