The Student Room Group

My father is a traditional ******* believing women dont need education

Scroll to see replies

Original post by crizzpy
Well, I am in a lot of mess and i really need advice. I have been dragged into a marriage that is well...forced. I am yet to be married as they have only got me engaged to the prick from back home (who is a desperate dickhead with no sort of ambitions or plan for future qualifications). My dream at first was from a child to become a dentist as my father is a doctor however, he had shattered my dreams by trying to make me comply to traditions of Asians. My mother has less extreme views but has been brainwashed by my father into believing that women need men and are forever dependant on them. I have lost all faith in my religion, although it is a big crime to them, yes, but being born into a religion without having faith ultimately means nothing. Anyways, as i tried to get through my GCSE's i kind of gave up as my so called mother would abuse me, physically and emotionally. After my GCSE's had ended (i had done alright although i had potential to do better) I got into college and currently just, finished my first year. In October, 2016, the engagement happened, despite me telling my mum that i'll never forgive her or never will be happy if she forces me into this. She'd go on about how his family is nice and blah blah. But im not a fan of incest unfortunately. So, the time of applying to universities will come near, and on many occasions i have planned on leaving home. I am certain and have started saving up, but the problem is applying for university. My friend has given me her address from which i can apply, but i have to keep this away from my parents as i now have ambitions of being a lawyer, and i really need to do something with my life. I dont want to be trapped here forever, being a housewife and popping out kids. The thing is, i dont know if i'll be able to pass my Alevels at this rate as I'm going crazy. I dont know whether to apply for a university in the place i am and tell my parents that ill just be applying for the local one or to keep it a secret and really escape. If any of you are going through the same, I'll gladly listen, always here. Thanks for reading this guys.

1) Forced marriage is illegal in Britain and can carry a jail sentence of up to 8 years. If you feel you are in danger of being forced into a marriage then you can contact the Government's Forced Marriage Unit. The website with the information is here.

https://www.gov.uk/stop-forced-marriage

You can get a Forced Marriage Order as well. Call 999 if you they are trying to do something drastic like kidnapping you.

2) Do not listen to anything your parents tell you. Often parents will use emotional blackmail to get you to do things. This is manipulation and a way to control you.

3) Go to a teacher you trust and explain your situation. They may be able to help you in trying to apply for mitigating circumstances to the exam board. If that doesn't work then you can always resit when you are in a better position. When you are applying to universities it is a good idea to inform them of any extentuating circumstances that may have impacted your grade. They will take this into account when they look at your application.

4) You do not have to tell your parents anything. The way they've treated you, well you don't owe them anything. Any family that tries to force their child into a marriage is not worthy of being called family. If I was you, I'd cut ties with them. They clearly care more about their selves than you.
Original post by Robby2312
That's not how it works.You cannot force people to get married here.Don't act like the parents are doing some great thing by supporting her.They're not.If you want kids then the very least you can do is feed them and clothe them.You don't get extra points for doing that.Its your obligation as a parent because you wanted the kids.The kid does not owe the parents for that.That is expected of them.Just because she lives in their house does not mean she has to follow their rules if they are unreasonable.The laws of the land supersede that of her parents.You cannot force someone into marriage end of.Its illegal.

Her parents are not obliged to house her for free then. They can show her the door frankly.

Yes, morally sound parents look after their kids. But messed up ones don't. The deeds of the house is most likely in her fathers name, so he is obliged to keep her or not. He can call the police and have her removed if she doesn't go.
Original post by jfwekfnwe
Ok, say she talks your terrible advise and reports him to the police. Then what? They arrest the father, she loses all relations with her family. She has broken a home, she is on her own. It achieves nothing.

She is better off without her sorry excuse for a father. At least she won't be sold off to a strange man to be raped.
[QUOTE=jfwekfnwe;71799684]Her parents are not obliged to house her for free then. They can show her the door frankly.

Yes, morally sound parents look after their kids. But messed up ones don't. The deeds of the house is most likely in her fathers name, so he is obliged to keep her or not. He can call the police and have her removed if she doesn't go.

They are obliged pal, first world country over here
Ok, say she talks your terrible advise and reports him to the police. Then what? They arrest the father, she loses all relations with her family. She has broken a home, she is on her own. It achieves nothing.

Yes it does
It proves to idiots like you that we won't tolerate this behaviour
It allows her to continue her education
It allows her to build a career
It lets her marry who she wants
Win win
I don't know why people are saying contact social services, social services have no regard whatsoever for relationships. Their job is to keep you safe and put a roof over your head, they will most likely pull her out straight away and that is it, the relationship with her parents and other family members finished.

OP needs to decide what is more important, the relationship with her family or her career.

I'm pretty sure OP considers her relationship with her family finished considering the fact that they are trying to marry her off against her will.
Original post by constantine2016
She is better off without her sorry excuse for a father. At least she won't be sold off to a strange man to be raped.

This is what I'm saying and people are labelling me an inbred and a troll. OP has the option of doing what her parents tell her or severing ties.

Personally I would severe the ties, but then you have the big bad world to face. She needs to get financially smart.

For someone who has fucc all to her name as bank balance, this is a very brave move on her part.

The OP has not broken the home. Her parents have forced the break up of the family and home all by themselves.
Don't know what everyone is still discussing for... Go to the police or social services they should help :c
Reply 69
And you think money grows on trees.

This is a typical labour support, go into a ditch and then start digging like a retard.

the only retard here is you, you can go back to whatever degenerate country you're from and preach that nonsense you inbred goat
This is what I'm saying and people are labelling me an inbred and a troll. OP has the option of doing what her parents tell her or severing ties.

Personally I would severe the ties, but then you have the big bad world to face. She needs to get financially smart.

For someone who has fucc all to her name as bank balance, this is a very brave move on her part.

There are a lot of youth charities that can help her find housing. She can also take out a maintenance loan from Student Finance. A lot of universities have their own scholarships and bursaries that they award to their students. It's not completely the end of the world for her.
Original post by piketty6
the only retard here is you, you can go back to whatever degenerate country you're from and preach that nonsense you inbred goat

What nonsense did I preach?

That you need money to survive in the outside world? No fuccing ****, sherlock.

What it acheives is ending abuse within families under the guise of 'culture'or 'tradition' and living as a free human being. She's better off without her family if they're going to treat her like this. She is a teenager and therefore a child in the eyes of the law. She'll have freedom to pursue the things she wants to achieve in life without adults in her family (who should know better) prohibiting her success.

She can go to uni, graduate, get a much better chance of getting a job and progress in her chosen career which will pay her way in life and in society. She'll meet so many new friends and people who will love, help and support her whilst being protected from people who abuse her and hinder her development. She can choose who she wants to marry and when so that she can be happy, safe and loved.

Being a member of family does not justify abuse in any shape or form. She doesn't subscribe to her family tradition and culture and she should be living according to the laws of the land which states that forced child marriage is illegal.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 73
What nonsense did I preach?

That you need money to survive in the outside world? No fuccing ****, sherlock.

Im not talking about that, inbred. Im talking about you saying that its their house rules so they can do what they like. God its a real ****ing shame your parents are cousins, you wouldnt be so ****ing stupid if they werent
And you think money grows on trees.

This is a typical labour supporter, go into a ditch and then start digging like a retard.

No
Wrong
And not
This was all I needed
Bye bye!
Original post by constantine2016
There are a lot of youth charities that can help her find housing. She can also take out a maintenance loan from Student Finance. A lot of universities have their own scholarships and bursaries that they award to their students. It's not completely the end of the world for her.

Yes, but you are putting yourself in a hard situation. She will need to grow up extra fast at this rate.

There are too many idiots on this forum, the bank of mum and dad supports TSR trolls.
Original post by piketty6
Im not talking about that, inbred. Im talking about you saying that its their house rules so they can do what they like. God its a real ****ing shame your parents are cousins, you wouldnt be so ****ing stupid if they werent

If you lived in my house and didn't follow my rules, I could kick you out. Doesn't take a fuccing brain of britain to figure that out.
Original post by crizzpy
Indeed

Well then I'm going to say this - in Western society we don't accept beating your daughter or forcing them into marriages. If you want to live here, you assimilate into British culture, don't expect us to pander to your vile and outdated lifestyle of beatings and blatant sexism.
Yes, but you are putting yourself in a hard situation. She will need to grow up extra fast at this rate.

There are too many idiots on this forum, the bank of mum and dad supports TSR trolls.

That's not necessarily a bad thing though. Of course it will be hard but at the end of it she will have picked up more practical skills such as budgeting than 21 year olds who lived on their parents' money and became spendthrifts.
Her parents are not obliged to house her for free then. They can show her the door frankly.

Parents are legally obliged to support their kids until 18.If she is under 18 they have to support her by law.Again this is england not some 3rd world country.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending