GreyAngus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi I've got my paper two exam on 6th June and I am not entirely sure how many case studies there are for each topic... I am studying:
Changing Urban Environments
Population Change
Tourism

Any help with identifying any of the case studies for any of the three topics would be really appreciated! Thanks in advance
Amefish
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by GreyAngus)
Hi I've got my paper two exam on 6th June and I am not entirely sure how many case studies there are for each topic... I am studying:
Population Change
Tourism

Any help with identifying any of the case studies for any of the three topics would be really appreciated! Thanks in advance
Which exam board?
Anonimy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am doing OCR B. Our teacher gave us predictions for the case studies we need to learn.
GreyAngus
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amefish)
Which exam board?
Oops sorry about that- I'm doing AQA
GreyAngus
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonimy)
I am doing OCR B. Our teacher gave us predictions for the case studies we need to learn.
Ah well sadly my teacher barely gave us any general ideas, let alone manage to predict them!
aamirac
Badges: 20
Report 3 years ago
Population Change
Tourism

I've never done OCR so I don't know any specifics. However, try looking at mark schemes and examiners reports since they usually will give some guidance as to what case studies are in the textbooks/what students used which you can look at to guide you.
Whilst they might not do that for every question, they might do for the longer questions that come up.
shysf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm doing those exact topics, so next to each case study I've put which case study I've studied as an example.
For population change, there are 4 case studies I think: China's one child policy, a non-birth control population management policy(Transmigration in Indonesia), an ageing population case study( UK ageing population) and a migration one (Poland to the UK). You have to know about migration from outside of the EU to the EU, but I don't think that's a case study. For population change, it is unlikely that China's one child policy will come up as it has come up in 2015 and 2016.
For tourism there are 4: a case study of a UK national park(Lake District National Park) or UK coastal resort, a mass tourism case study(mass tourism in Kenya), an extreme tourism case study(Antarctica) and an eco tourism case study(Tataquara Lodge in Brazil) . The tourism one could be the eco tourism case study or extreme tourism. I'm basing that prediction on what has come up in recent years.
For Changing Urban Environments there are only 2: a case study of managing squatter settlements (The Favela-Bairro project) and a case study of a sustainable city (Curitiba in Brazil). It is hard to predict the urbanisation case study because there are only two.
PureWatSkta
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what are the case studies for AQA have you got any revison stuff i can use QT
PureWatSkta
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What are the AQA case studies for paper 2 and do you have stuff i can revise from qt
em___02
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
the case studies i use are:
tunisia for tourism
manchester
nigeria
rio de janerio but i dont know what those are for
safiak_x
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Case studies:Rio De JanerioBristol-UK city case study Germany-FreiburgNigeria Indus Basin Irrigation system this isn't a case study but i think it's going to come up; the north and south divide.
mojomayhemtube
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Amefish)
Which exam board?
I'm also doing aqa. I don't know the case studies for paper 2 geography. pls help.
UnbelievablyEasy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Population Change
Tourism

(Original post by mojomayhemtube)
I'm also doing aqa. I don't know the case studies for paper 2 geography. pls help.
Hey, I'll try to make this as clear and easy for you as possible, and I will include the examples I have learnt. This is a summary of the specification, so I would read that for a more in-depth understanding.

There are three sections in Paper 2: Section A - Urban issues and challenges, Section B - The changing economic world, and Section C - The challenge of resource management

Section A
LIC/NEE urban growth creating opportunities and challenges case study:
- A case study of a major city in an LIC or NEE (Rio de Janeiro) to illustrate:
- The location and importance of the city
- Causes of growth
- How urban growth has created social and economic opportunities
- How urban growth has created challenges in: managing the growth, providing housing facilities, providing education and health, reducing unemployment and crime, and managing environmental issues
- An example of how urban planning is improving the quality of life for the urban poor (The Favela Bairro Project)

Urban change in UK cities creating opportunities and challenges case study:
- A case study of a major city in the UK (Bristol) to illustrate:
- The location and importance of the city
- The impacts of migration
- How urban change has created socioeconomic and environmental opportunities
- How urban change has created challenges: socioeconomically, environmentally, and in dealing with the impact of urban sprawl
- An example of an urban regeneration project to show why it was needed and its main features (The Temple Quarter regeneration)

Urban sustainability:
(Technically you do not need to know a case study here, but it can be beneficial - I have learnt Freiburg)

Section B
The development gap:
- An example of how the growth of tourism in an LIC or NEE helps to reduce the development gap (Jamaica)

LIC/NEE economic development case study:
- A case study of one LIC or NEE (Nigeria) to illustrate:
- The location and importance of the country
- The wider context within which the country is placed
- The changing industrial structure
- The role of TNCs
- The changing relationships with the wider world
- International aid
- The environmental impacts of economic development
- The effect of economic development on the quality of life

UK economy:
- An example of how modern industrial development can be more environmentally sustainable (Torr Quarry)
(For this subtopic (the UK economy) it is extremely beneficial to know statistics and information around the content listed in the specification)

Section C
Resource management:
(None)

Energy (assuming you are doing this):
- An example to show how the extraction of a fossil fuel has both advantages and disadvantages (Natural Gas (also I have learnt not only the advantages and disadvantages in general but also for a specific example - the Camisea Project))
- An example of a local renewable energy scheme in an LIC or NEE to provide sustainable supplies of energy (The Chambamontera micro-hydro scheme)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (251)
47.27%
Take exams next summer (71)
13.37%
Change uni choice through clearing (113)
21.28%
Apply to uni next year instead (55)
10.36%
I'm not applying to university (41)
7.72%

Watched Threads