Should you cross your planning out in the exam?

Watch
wizward
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've been advised to actually write my plan in the answer booklet when planning essays etc.

If I was to plan, would i need to cross this out? If I didn't, would this be marked as part of the essay? Or will the examiner just acknowledge the plan and move on?
imaginekatrina
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
what I have done in the past is if it is a booklet where you have to write the question number in the margin, then I have planned my essay in pencil or something and then written the question number after the plan where I start my essay. That way it's really obvious that the plan isn't part of the essay, but you still show them that you have thought it through. For subjects with essays it is unlikely that the content in the plan but not in the essay will be credited because often essay writing skills are part of the marking criteria, but you never know so I would say don't cross it out. if you run out of time I would advise listing the points in your plan again at the end of the essay though just in case. Hope this makes sense
Dragolien
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As long as it is crystal clear that what you wrote is a plan, then there's no reason for you to cross it out. I don't think that there's any exam board that marks negatively.
SixthAge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Examiners are human. I'm sure they know exactly how to differentiate between a plan and an actual essay.
stoyfan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by wizward)
I've been advised to actually write my plan in the answer booklet when planning essays etc.

If I was to plan, would i need to cross this out? If I didn't, would this be marked as part of the essay? Or will the examiner just acknowledge the plan and move on?
No, you don't.

The planning would be under a subheading named as "planning".

The Answer would be under a subheading namers as "answer".
wizward
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Awesome stuff, thanks all"
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (408)
52.31%
No (372)
47.69%

Watched Threads