The Student Room Group

i need some advice for working in the future

so today i met with a wise guy who works in the industry I want to work in. we had a chat about life, current affairs, and stuff. at the end, I asked him what would he change about me (as it was the first time we had met) and he told me two things.

he said I speak way too fast (which i've always known of) and that I have a natural tendency to speak slang (for instance, as a filler i'd say init) (growing up on a council estate and going to schools where everyone speaks slang, its quite a bad habit to get rid of). I agree with what he said, i'd just like to add that i've personally noticed I sometimes stutter as well (I'm 19 so I sometimes wonder I'm too young for that) (I can have the word on the tip of my tongue but it just doesn't come out).

Anyways, he told me that without telling me how to improve it. I really would like to work in the financial services sector, which is predominantly client based, and I feel I have the knowledge and the personality but I guess I need polishing. and I think this polishing is what is holding me back especially in interviews.

can anyone recommend, what I can do?
Reply 1
There is a guy here working in IB from an underprivileged background who can help you, can't recall his nickname, but he is very active in the proper investment banking/financial services forum. If you use the search bar I think you might be able to find threads and posts related to this subject.

Try to avoid exposing yourself to improper talk as much as possible, for example in certain circles and tv shows (that might be hard since the BBC gave up on every standard, see Doctor Who). Reading something adequately decent always helps with words. As for talking too quickly, I think that if you make an effort you should be able to force yourself. It will indeed be weird at the beginning, but at some point it I'm sure it will become natural.
Original post by usualsuspects
There is a guy here working in IB from an underprivileged background who can help you, can't recall his nickname, but he is very active in the proper investment banking/financial services forum. If you use the search bar I think you might be able to find threads and posts related to this subject.

Try to avoid exposing yourself to improper talk as much as possible, for example in certain circles and tv shows (that might be hard since the BBC gave up on every standard, see Doctor Who). Reading something adequately decent always helps with words. As for talking too quickly, I think that if you make an effort you should be able to force yourself. It will indeed be weird at the beginning, but at some point it I'm sure it will become natural.

yeah i uploaded this post here and in the IB thread, wanted a larger pool of answers from different audiences.
Before you speak take a moment to plan what you want to say. Then make a conscious effort to speak slowly and carefully, concentrate... you can break habits, it just takes time and effort. Luckily here the speaking too fast and slang both have the same solution - make a conscious effort to speak slowly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending