The Student Room Group

How to curb a sugar addiction?

Unfortunately it seems I have a pretty bad sugar addiction. I have this last few days kept a diary and I will eat >100g added sugar a day. This isn't to say my diet is bad. I also eat >7 fruit and veg a day. I'm a healthy weight and also very active. I don't count calories ever and I eat relatively large meals compared to my peers and family. I have just started to realise how bad my addiction is becuase of problems with my teeth and my constant exhausgen and cravings.

My issue is just that no matter how much "good stuff" I eat I will always crave and succumb to sugary foods like chocolate, croissants, jam etc until I feel and sometimes am, physically stick. Also sugary drinks have never been a problem and I have no particulars time of day I crave sugar most.

So basically I'm looking for ideas for how I could curb my addiction? Also any snack ideas- would be great if they were vegan!
(edited 6 years ago)
You could try to divert your attention using other things e.g. sugar-free gum etc
Original post by Unnamed User
You could try to divert your attention using other things e.g. sugar-free gum etc

That's a good idea! I shall try that. Made me think of herbal tea distractions too...
Keep a list of all the consequences of type II pinned around your house.

I wouldn't go for gum, it'll just make you feel hungry.

Remove all sugary treats and replace with savoury/salty ones.

Cut down on high sugar fruits.

Look up videos on YouTube - there will be hundreds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I read somewhere if you have gum your body expects food and doesn't get it which can worsen cravings.

I'm terrible with sugar. Once a year I cut it out for 3-4 weeks - so desserts, chocolate, sweets etc but I also cut out fruit and yoghurt and anything else high in sugar. I let myself eat as much as I want of other food groups and keep things like crisps around for if I want a 'treat'. I find after the 3-4 weeks having an apple feels like a king sized chocolate bar did a month ago and I physically can't stomach huge portions of sweet things like I could. Plus the cravings are gone by that point so I can choose to have something junky and sweet 1-2 x per week as a treat and have fruit/yoghurt the rest of the time. The first couple of weeks are pretty hellish and I get mega grumpy + horrible cravings but by the end of the third week you have lots more energy and can feel the difference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending