indigogirl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
How exactly do you explain the effects of similes, metaphors, etc in a poem/piece of text? Say if you have to explain how they help show the mood of the text? If someone could just give me a general example, it would really help.
Rogue275
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Generally similes and metaphors draw comparisons, so they create imagery in the reader's mind. For example (a random quote from Stephen King's 'It'):
"He screamed, clapped one hand to the spot like a man who's just had one hell of a good idea..."
Rather than just saying he clapped his hand to the spot where the character was hit the author uses the simile, which makes the action more vivid for me.
'Like a man who's just had one hell of a good idea' makes me imagine him hitting himself really hard, with a shocked expression, but the author hasn't actually said this.
Whenever you're asked to look at the effect of a simile or metaphor, just read it and think, does it conjure up imagery for you? What effect does it have on you? I can't think of an example that shows mood off the top of my head, but if something is said to 'sound like a creaking door' then you could say that creates suspense, or a creepy mood.
indigogirl
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by Rogue275)
Generally similes and metaphors draw comparisons, so they create imagery in the reader's mind. For example (a random quote from Stephen King's 'It'):
"He screamed, clapped one hand to the spot like a man who's just had one hell of a good idea..."
Rather than just saying he clapped his hand to the spot where the character was hit the author uses the simile, which makes the action more vivid for me.
'Like a man who's just had one hell of a good idea' makes me imagine him hitting himself really hard, with a shocked expression, but the author hasn't actually said this.
Whenever you're asked to look at the effect of a simile or metaphor, just read it and think, does it conjure up imagery for you? What effect does it have on you? I can't think of an example that shows mood off the top of my head, but if something is said to 'sound like a creaking door' then you could say that creates suspense, or a creepy mood.
Thanks so much for your help! Any ideas about alliteration?
Rogue275
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Again just think about how it makes you feel. There's no set answer because different uses of alliteration will aim to give different effects. A lot of the time alliteration helps a piece flow (particularly in poetry) or adds interest and variety (in prose). In both it often creates a pleasing sound because of the repetition. The mood can be set by alliteration usually depending on which consonant is repeated. For example, sibilance (the reptition of an 's' sound), sounds soothing when read aloud, and so creates a calm mood.
eternally_law
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj jjjjjjjjjj
Ok google
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (127)
27.55%
1 (69)
14.97%
2 (71)
15.4%
3 (74)
16.05%
4 (37)
8.03%
5 (30)
6.51%