The Student Room Group

I lost $639 which I earned online - what should I do...?

So I have a PayPal account with just over $639 (around £500) which was going to be spent as an investment for a computer game I developed, and ultimately help paying for my University fees - now my account got limited and there's no way for me to withdraw the money without submitting photo ID.

The money was earned through a computer game I developed in my spare time - I am really upset because it took me about 2 months to earn this much, I told my mum about this and she said it was best if I just leave the money in my account as it wasn't worth going through the verification process for PayPal, and that she'd just give me £500 from her bank account instead. I didn't take it because I didn't feel like it was fair on her. But now I realised it'd be much harder to get back to where I was as I have nothing to spend on ads for my game.

I need advice on what I should do... do you think it'd be reasonable to borrow £500 and pay her back in 2-3 months, or just forget about this and concentrate on my A levels (I have 1 more exam to go in 2 weeks time)?

Thanks.
Why can you not submit photo ID?
Reply 2
Original post by Fermion.
Why can you not submit photo ID?

There's a big problem - I entered a fake first name & surname, fake address and fake date of birth for my account as I didn't want to do enter personal details. This is really stupid I know, and I have definitely learned my lesson.
Reply 3
How did your account get "limited"?
There are various methods to make your paypal account verified again.
Original post by ℓove
There's a big problem - I entered a fake first name & surname, fake address and fake date of birth for my account as I didn't want to do enter personal details. This is really stupid I know, and I have definitely learned my lesson.

Your account is not going to be unlimited. I remember I made my Paypal account when I was under 18 to buy something on eBay and when I sent photo ID they limited my account because I made it when I was underage.

I think your best bet is to just phone Paypal and ask what you can do about it. But I really don't understand why you entered fake details. You've put yourself in a really dodgy position.
Reply 5
Original post by Preussen
How did your account get "limited"?
There are various methods to make your paypal account verified again.

When I called PayPal, they said they put security measures when an account sends payments that look suspicious. I think this happened because I purchased something on my phone, it had different IP address to my computer which I usually use buy/sells things.
Reply 6
Your account is not going to be unlimited. I remember I made my Paypal account when I was under 18 to buy something on eBay and when I sent photo ID they limited my account because I made it when I was underage.

I think your best bet is to just phone Paypal and ask what you can do about it. But I really don't understand why you entered fake details. You've put yourself in a really dodgy position.

Yes I did, they said the only way I can remove the limitation is to provide driver license or passport - I have both but the details are completely different to my PayPal account.
Original post by ℓove
Yes I did, they said the only way I can remove the limitation is to provide driver license or passport - I have both but the details are completely different to my PayPal account.

Yes, maybe you should explain the "real" situation to them. I doubt you have anything to lose at this point.
Does it let you transfer the funds to another PayPal account or is it fully locked in there?
Maybe you can recover 90% of the money by providing a 'shopping service'

Ask all of your mates if there's anything they want to buy on Amazon or Ebay and offer them a 10% discount in exchange for cash, you buy their stuff for them using their paypal and they give you 90% of its value in money.

You could make it a lot faster by giving them a 20% or even 30% discount but obviously you will lose more money that way.

Another way is to try and find someone who would sell a cryptocurrency like Bitcoin or Etherium on paypal, you buy the cryptocurrency and exchange it for Sterling through LocalBitcoins or some other exchange
Reply 10
Yes, maybe you should explain the "real" situation to them. I doubt you have anything to lose at this point.

I did consider this option, but my mum said she didn't want me to reveal my identity because she's worried that it will cause more problems in the future as it is illegal - I'm planning to leave my current account and open a genuine one when I turn 18 in 4 months.
Reply 11
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
Maybe you can recover 90% of the money by providing a 'shopping service'

Ask all of your mates if there's anything they want to buy on Amazon or Ebay and offer them a 10% discount in exchange for cash, you buy their stuff for them using their paypal and they give you 90% of its value in money.

You could make it a lot faster by giving them a 20% or even 30% discount but obviously you will lose more money that way.

Another way is to try and find someone who would sell a cryptocurrency like Bitcoin or Etherium on paypal, you buy the cryptocurrency and exchange it for Sterling through LocalBitcoins or some other exchange

Thanks for the suggestion but I'll pass.
I know someone who can withdraw money from limited account but charges 50%
Original post by ℓove
If you're earning money, you really need to use correct details. You've basically forfeit that money now.

I'd suggest emailing them and explaining your situation, telling them what you did and why, and accepting it when they tell you to go and jump in the river.
How were you going to declare this income to HMRC if you use fake details for all the accounts? What if HMRC demanded to see your account statements?
Reply 15
Use photoshop or PM me.. I know loads of ways to un limit your account... it's not hard.
Original post by ℓove
So I have a PayPal account with just over $639 (around £500) which was going to be spent as an investment for a computer game I developed, and ultimately help paying for my University fees - now my account got limited and there's no way for me to withdraw the money without submitting photo ID.

The money was earned through a computer game I developed in my spare time - I am really upset because it took me about 2 months to earn this much, I told my mum about this and she said it was best if I just leave the money in my account as it wasn't worth going through the verification process for PayPal, and that she'd just give me £500 from her bank account instead. I didn't take it because I didn't feel like it was fair on her. But now I realised it'd be much harder to get back to where I was as I have nothing to spend on ads for my game.

I need advice on what I should do... do you think it'd be reasonable to borrow £500 and pay her back in 2-3 months, or just forget about this and concentrate on my A levels (I have 1 more exam to go in 2 weeks time)?

Thanks.

When a PayPal account is limited, they still let you issue refunds.

If you have received payments from people you know, or have transferred funds between your family - you can issue a refund to them using PayPal.

You could then ask them to re-pay you into another PayPal account or into your bank account directly.

Obviously this method depends if you have any previous transactions where you can issue refunds.
I'm interested in the computer game you made :smile: I'm going to be starting computer science at City this year

i would advise as the previous person to put that money into cryptocurrency. Heck, i put 200 into cryptocurrency as an investment and made 800 in under 2 weeks.
Its for the same reasons as you, so i can make money for university

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending