Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

required GCSE grades for oxbridge watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i know that the prospectus only specify 'good' GCSE grades and passes in maths and english, but what sort if grades are really necessary in order to be considered for a place to study at pxbridge? I achieved 4 A's at AS level in history, politics, english language and literature and spanish, with full marks (300/300) in history, 298 in politics, 280 in spanish and 283 in english and am predicted to do the same at A2 Level, but in years 10 and 11 i was what can only be described as a lazy ******* despite the relative easiness of the exams and course material, ending up with 4 A*'s in english literature, english lang, history and Religious studies, AA in science, A in spanish and B in both maths and art. Most other applicants have at least 6 or 7 A* grades as well as good A2s. So what do you think are my chances?
    Regards,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arranque)
    i know that the prospectus only specify 'good' GCSE grades and passes in maths and english, but what sort if grades are really necessary in order to be considered for a place to study at pxbridge? I achieved 4 A's at AS level in history, politics, english language and literature and spanish, with full marks (300/300) in history, 298 in politics, 280 in spanish and 283 in english and am predicted to do the same at A2 Level, but in years 10 and 11 i was what can only be described as a lazy ******* despite the relative easiness of the exams and course material, ending up with 4 A*'s in english literature, english lang, history and Religious studies, AA in science, A in spanish and B in both maths and art. Most other applicants have at least 6 or 7 A* grades as well as good A2s. So what do you think are my chances?
    Regards,
    LOL at your 'bad' results.

ReputationRep:
    They're not bad results at all :rolleyes: If you write a mindblowing personal statement and put in a fantastic performance at interview, as well as securing an AAA prediction at A2, your GCSEs will be much less of a deciding factor.

ReputationRep:
    You'll bowl in with those UMS scores! They're kickass - a few Bs at GCSE won't matter - just make sure that you get your teachers to mention them in the reference.

ReputationRep:
    If you get those results via being lazy then perhaps I should be lazy more often!

ReputationRep:
    I really wouldn't worry. A couple of years ago I got an offer from Oxford, and my GCSE results were worse than yours. If you have reasonably good GCSE grades (the mark I was told was about 5 A grades or above), then there is no need to worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluestream_uk)
    I really wouldn't worry. A couple of years ago I got an offer from Oxford, and my GCSE results were worse than yours. If you have reasonably good GCSE grades (the mark I was told was about 5 A grades or above), then there is no need to worry.
    Purely out of interest, what were your gcse results? If you don't mind divulging them of course.

Thanks

Jason

ReputationRep:
    In my experience they didn't matter in the slightest. I got 3A* 2A 6B at GCSE and when I applied to Cambridge for Law I had no AS grades and I was pooled for a place (no places left, sadly) and later received a highly complimentary letter from the admissions tutor explaining that I was an excellent candidate but that (unluckily for me) too many people had applied to my college. Seemingly, everyone else had straight A's at GCSE and dozens of A levels and most of them (apart from those with offers, obviously) weren't even pooled. Make of that what you will...

ReputationRep:
    awww....i was think of applying to oxbridge since i got good grades for AS level (AAAAB) but for my GCSE's i got 1A* 2A 5B 2C...so not enough then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -xsarahx-)
    awww....i was think of applying to oxbridge since i got good grades for AS level (AAAAB) but for my GCSE's i got 1A* 2A 5B 2C...so not enough then.
    Don't think like that! If I had thought that way, I'd be off to Oxford Brookes.. instead I'm off to Oxford University and I only have A*ABCC at GCSE Admittedly, I had exenuating circumstances (did them in less than a year following illness), but it makes me laugh how many times I've answered this question on this board. GCSE grades are one of the less important factors I think, particularly if you have a good reason that's backed up in your reference.

A good tip for any kind of application, not just Oxbridge, is to try and turn your flaws into strengths. So instead of saying, "I was sick so only have 5 gcses! Sorry!" I wrote in the box that doing 5 GCSEs in such a short space of time was a valuable experience because it taught me how to study independently and learn to manage my time well. I was very careful to not apologise for it while acknowledging that it was different. This appears to have worked, because I got in to do English, one of the more competitive subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -xsarahx-)

Those grades are absolutely fine for oxbridge. What really matters is the interview.

MB

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't you reckon that decent GCSEs and UMS would really come into play in the Cambridge Pool though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Wouldn't you reckon that decent GCSEs and UMS would really come into play in the Cambridge Pool though?
    Yup, since you're trying to stand out from all the other candidates in the pool. Does it matter which college you get pooled from though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Yup, since you're trying to stand out from all the other candidates in the pool. Does it matter which college you get pooled from though?
    Dunno, I guess it's all relative. Although one might think that somebody pooled from Trinity would have a better chance than somebody pooled from a less prestigious (~ and oft less competitive) college.

I don't know at all though, afterall, I only realised that you need a separate form to apply there today!

ReputationRep:
    Dunno, I guess it's all relative. Although one might think that somebody pooled from Trinity would have a better chance than somebody pooled from a less prestigious (~ and oft less competitive) college.

I don't know at all though, afterall, I only realised that you need a separate form to apply there today!
    Lol, the forms aren't too taxing at all. The one just asked you to reinstate stuff from the UCAS form. The oxford one was very short, from what I saw of it.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, the forms aren't too taxing at all. The one just asked you to reinstate stuff from the UCAS form. The oxford one was very short, from what I saw of it.
    I'm almost certain that I'm going to forget something!

I need to fill in three things - UCAS, LNAT, Ox/Cam form. Talk about overkill, lol - and they all cost money too!

Do most people go out on the town during the interview period (seeing as they're in Ox/Cam for a couple of days)?

ReputationRep:
    I'm almost certain that I'm going to forget something!

I need to fill in three things - UCAS, LNAT, Ox/Cam form. Talk about overkill, lol - and they all cost money too!

Do most people go out on the town during the interview period (seeing as they're in Ox/Cam for a couple of days)?
    The cambridge interview periods are much shorter than the oxford ones, because you only get interviewed by one college. From what I remember, most people stayed in their college and worried

ReputationRep:
    i'd be more worried about LSE with **** GCSE results!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faa)
    i'd be more worried about LSE with **** GCSE results!!!!
    They're hardly ****, but I see what you're getting at.

The only reason I've put time into my PS is for the LSE too.

ReputationRep:
    The cambridge interview periods are much shorter than the oxford ones, because you only get interviewed by one college. From what I remember, most people stayed in their college and worried
    What?!

I'm not expecting people to go out on the slaughter, obviously, but don't they go to the JCR bars for a bit, at the very least?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.