Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

required GCSE grades for oxbridge watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    What?!

I'm not expecting people to go out on the slaughter, obviously, but don't they go to the JCR bars for a bit, at the very least?
    I spent one night in Oxford, and in the evening me and my English Posse sat in the bar and chatted to each other and other students :cool: we went out to the pub during the day though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F. Poste)
    I spent one night in Oxford, and in the evening me and my English Posse sat in the bar and chatted to each other and other students :cool: we went out to the pub during the day though
    Now that's what I'm talking about! I've never experienced it - but I just think it would be the worst thing in the world, being cooped up in a foreign room (whilst absolutely bricking it)!

Maybe I should look you up - if the opportunity was ever to arise.

ReputationRep:
    Now that's what I'm talking about! I've never experienced it - but I just think it would be the worst thing in the world, being cooped up in a foreign room (whilst absolutely bricking it)!

Maybe I should look you up - if the opportunity was ever to arise.
    I want to be part of the interview helping team if they let first-years, so perhaps it will You know you want to apply to Oxford!! Best uni in the world as rated by Poste!

ReputationRep:
    I want to be part of the interview helping team if they let first-years, so perhaps it will You know you want to apply to Oxford!! Best uni in the world as rated by Poste!
    Hehe, that does carry a fair deal of clout I suppose!

I'm not sure really...

I keep changing my mind between three of the six UCAS choices nearly daily, anyway!

I might get my little sister to choose. She's usually right about stuff, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, that does carry a fair deal of clout I suppose!

I'm not sure really...

I keep changing my mind between three of the six UCAS choices nearly daily, anyway!

I might get my little sister to choose. She's usually right about stuff, lol.
    I was the opposite, I knew pretty much where I was applying in my first year, as we used to hang out by the prospectus boxes haha Rock 'n' roll...

But yeah, I'm not biased at all when it comes to Oxbridge *cough*OXFORDOXFORDOXFORD*cough* Any thoughts on the colleges you like at either Ox or Cam?

ReputationRep:
    I was the opposite, I knew pretty much where I was applying in my first year, as we used to hang out by the prospectus boxes haha Rock 'n' roll...

But yeah, I'm not biased at all when it comes to Oxbridge *cough*OXFORDOXFORDOXFORD*cough* Any thoughts on the colleges you like at either Ox or Cam?
    Cam - Churchill

Ox - BNC & New

Although I'm tempted by Cam, as they place less emphasis on the LNAT test, and more emphasis on UMS...but the place is dead.

ReputationRep:
    Cam - Churchill

Ox - BNC & New

Although I'm tempted by Cam, as they place less emphasis on the LNAT test, and more emphasis on UMS...but the place is dead.
    Yeah, I love Oxford as a place.. coming from a proper city that's probably a downgrade for you too, but the city has so much charm. Oooh, I can't wait My advice to you would be to make sure you apply where you'd most want to go rather than where you think you'd get in.. Even if Cam's admissions process suits you more, what's the use if you don't think you'll be completely happy there? If city life suits you then you don't want to spend three years asleep and miserable in a town just for the sake of the Cambridge name

ReputationRep:
    What?!

I'm not expecting people to go out on the slaughter, obviously, but don't they go to the JCR bars for a bit, at the very least?
    You did say to out on the town Actually I popped into the pub across the road for a bit. When I say stayed in college, I meant people were in the JCR chatting to each other, not hectically cramming textbooks. But the JCR bar wasn't open at Queens'.

ReputationRep:
    Cam - Churchill

Ox - BNC & New

You actually liked churchill?!? :eek: I'm kidding, am impressed by your ability to not be swayed by aesthetics. On the better note, churchill students get massive rooms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by THE PROPHETOR!)
    Purely out of interest, what were your gcse results? If you don't mind divulging them of course.

Thanks

Jason
    I got 2A*, 4A, 2B and a C. Not bad results, but not what you expect most Oxford students to get. But in the end, it's the A-level results and the interview that really sway the decision. If you are predicted 3 A's in A-level, but are worried about GCSE result, don't be, give it a shot and you might just get it!

ReputationRep:
    What?!

I had an interview at Trinity College, Cambridge in December last year, but I only had to be there from 9 in the morning until mid-afternoon sometime, so there wasn't much time to paint the town red The JCR bar was closed, and the place we got to hang out between interviews was a very dull common room with seats lined up along each wall... and absolutely nothing else. It was quite painful sitting there waiting for your interview time to roll around. The whole place was pretty empty anyway though seeing as the Christmas vacation had started. A couple of people in my little group had stayed overnight due to living too far away to do the journey in the day though, and apparently they'd hit the local pubs the night before. A couple of people also went after lunch (which was provided in the college dining hall) but I had the first interview after lunch so didn't get time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    I had an interview at Trinity College, Cambridge in December last year, but I only had to be there from 9 in the morning until mid-afternoon sometime, so there wasn't much time to paint the town red The JCR bar was closed, and the place we got to hang out between interviews was a very dull common room with seats lined up along each wall... and absolutely nothing else. It was quite painful sitting there waiting for your interview time to roll around. The whole place was pretty empty anyway though seeing as the Christmas vacation had started. A couple of people in my little group had stayed overnight due to living too far away to do the journey in the day though, and apparently they'd hit the local pubs the night before. A couple of people also went after lunch (which was provided in the college dining hall) but I had the first interview after lunch so didn't get time
    Eek, this whole interview thing sounds like quite an ordeal! (Scrubs Durham off the list).

ReputationRep:
    Those grades are absolutely fine for oxbridge. What really matters is the interview.
    Ooo ok thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    One of my best friends got 10 A*'s and 3 A's at GCSE, A's in History, Politics, English lang and Lit and Psychology AS (in all but Psychology she got maximum marks) she went on to get AAA in History, English and Politics A2 (Maxing all) and they still rejected her. A hunch I have tells me its something to do with what secondary school she went to, If your at private school you'll be fine...

ReputationRep:
    If your at private school you'll be fine...
    :eek: i read in the Times this morning that private school and grammar school heads are getting pissed off because the Government have told Uni's that the need to get more of a 'social mix' to charge full top of fees, so are taking more kids from comp/college...lol, i hope thats the case anyway...but, its probably just all a load of bull, i think what matters is your PS and interview.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.