?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
It's that time of the year again
username2324315
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's like August 1965 all over again, except without, uh, border conflicts and an outbreak of war between the two..
WolfzWay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Rex Onocrotalus)
It's like August 1965 all over again, except without, uh, border conflicts and an outbreak of war between the two..
It's all mad
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Really, India should be making the final two of the CT - but the speculation regarding Kumble's future is not ideal. According to reports, the Indian players see him as a headmaster and aren't keen on his coaching methods, despite his remarkable form since taking over the job. Not only that, but their key player - Kohli - is really lacking form right now. He's coming off the back of an injury-plagued series vs Australia, and a poor IPL. Of the batsmen in the Indian squad, only Dhawan finished in the top ten run-makers' list in IPL 2017. R Ashwin has not played a competitive ODI match since the series against England in January.

Thankfully, they have experience: 9 out of the 15 were part of the squad that won the title in 2013. And they have fast bowlers that can overpower batsmen in English conditions: Shami, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Bumrah and U Yadav who all impressed vs NZ and Bangladesh in the warm-ups. Hardik is an excellent all-rounder too, striking 80 off 54 vs Bangladesh. But the opening situation needs to be resolved: they can pick between Dhawan (who averages 74 in England), Rohit Sharma and Ajinkya Rahane. The latter struggled in the warm-up matches, while Rohit arrived late to the camp and faced three balls in his only innings.

Yuvraj has not played in England since the World T20 in 2009 and has been struck down with fever. If he is accommodated in the XI, India must decide whether he should he bat at No. 4 before Dhoni or should it be the other way round. If Hardik is picked, should India go with two other fast bowlers or drop a spinner to play three? India have won their last three ODI series, so form is on their side, and they have the luxury of five allrounders in Yuvraj, Kedar Jadhav, Ashwin, R Jadeja and Hardik. They have the best death bowler in B Kumar, and seamers capable of wreaking havoc. India have played 27 ODIs since 2015 - the least by any of the eight participants in the Champions Trophy.
Pink_Sparkles
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
oooh I m excited like hell!!!! :banana::dance::excited::happy2::nutcase::woo:
But have exams right after a day :cry:
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As for Pakistan, they barely managed to qualify for the CT and you have to say, if they lose to India this weekend, it could be curtains. They have won all the major titles - World Cup, World T20, Asia Cup - but the CT has eluded them. Their record in the 2013 edition was rather modest - knocked out losing all three games, and losing to India meant they lost their unbeaten record in the tournament against India.
They have got rid of Azhar as captain, but there are reasons to be hopeful despite the No 8 ranking: Shadab Khan and Hasan Ali - and even Sarfraz Ahmed, the newly appointed captain.

Pakistan beat Wes t Indies 2-1 in their most recent ODI series, as Shoaib Malik and Babar Azam made match-winning hundreds and Mohammad Hafeez was the highest run-getter in the series with 201 runs at an average of 67. You imagine the likes of Amir will relish the greentops, but for me, it's all about Shadab: 10 wickets in four games. Pakistan will deploy Amir alongside Junaid Khan, who made his ODI comeback against Australia earlier this year, and Wahab Riaz. But it's not the bowling that's the issue, is it? Their ODI batting has been woeful for some time. Between 2012 and 2015, Pakistan's scoring rate in the first 10 overs was a mere 4.5 runs per and only gradually improved over the last two seasons and climbed to over 5. Sharjeel Khan, their best power hitter, has been lost in the wake of the PSL corruption case, while Umar Akmal was removed from the squad after failing a fitness test.

Malik is set to feature in his sixth CT, the most among current players. He made his tournament debut in 2002, and since then has played all editions of the tournament. He has scored 326 runs and taken 10 wickets in 15 CT games. But, worryingly, the last time a Pakistan batsman scored a century in the CT was in 2009 when Malik made 128 against India in Centurion. Ahead of the weekend, Pakistan will hope for better luck vs Kohli. Thus far in ODIs, Junaid has the most dismissals against him - just 3.
.Iqra.
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No one gives a damn
Aky786UK
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I didn't realise they were playing so early in the tournament - India v Pakistan games in England always are atmospheric but I'd expect India to win as not only Pakistan's team is a shambles (batting wise), they simply go into a shell when facing their arch rivals. It's a CT game, not a WC match so they could pull off a victory but very unlikely. Their batting is stuck back a few decades and if they chase or bat first, it won't be enough. If you're in Kohli's position, bat first and put up a big total that Pakistan's methodical batsmen will struggle to chase, strangle them for runs etc.
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's Pakistan Vs India every day on TSR so not that excited.
IsmaeelRASOOL14
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
PAKISTAN ZINDABAD!!!!
Spoiler:
Show

aka were gunna win!
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
India, England, SA and Australia final four
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (622)
33.73%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (776)
42.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.74%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads