The Student Room Group

Switching degree courses in between second an third year

I'm currently in my second year in a Physics degree in University of Leeds. Unfortunately it's taken me this long to realise where my lack of motivation to apply myself to this degree stems from, it doesn't interest me at all. In all honesty I feel like the only reason I picked it is because of how great the career prospects are on paper. I have just taken my end of year 2 exams and am not confident at all about marks and I'm supposed to be sitting my January exams in august since i broke my wrist over Christmas 2016.

I am seriously considering changing degree courses to something in Philosophy or Psychology because it's much more streamlined to my interests.

I wanted to know how what the situation with student funding would be if I were to start a new degree like this.

Cheers.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by NotLuis
I'm currently in my second year in a Physics degree in University of Leeds. Unfortunately it's taken me this long to realise where my lack of motivation to apply myself to this degree stems from, it doesn't interest me at all. In all honesty I feel like the only reason I picked it is because of how great the career prospects are on paper. I have just taken my end of year 2 exams and am not confident at all about marks and I'm supposed to be sitting my January exams in august since i broke my wrist over Christmas 2016.

I am seriously considering changing degree courses to something in Philosophy or Psychology because it's much more streamlined to my interests.

I wanted to know how what the situation with student funding would be if I were to start a new degree like this.

Cheers, Luis Dorn

You're entitled to length of course + 1 - previous years study. Part of a year counts as a full year of funding.
Original post by NotLuis

Cheers, Luis Dorn

Hi Luis,

Basically, if you start a new course as a personal preference, just to study something you're happier studying, we apply a previous study calculation. We take the number of years in your new course, add one year to it, and subtract any previous years from your old course, or any other higher level study you've done.

From what you describe, we'd take a three year new course, add a year to make four, and subtract two. You'd have two years of funding fully funded, and one year funded with a Maintenance Loan only. Your tuition fees in year one would not be paid by us. If your injury causes you to fail year two, and you get a medical certificate to that effect, we could potentially reinstate a year of funding. That would give you three years, but your failure to complete the year would have to be primarily caused by the injury.

Does that make sense?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending