Year 3 Study extenuating circumstances university withdrawal

Watch
simsim75
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Compelling personal reasons to do with my home repairs and my daughter going into care. I'm in my final year and only attended the first two weeks after having been deferred from Sept starter to Feb starter. Now student finance wants their grant money back. I am a lone parent of three 20, (17 in care now) and 11 years old. I need to repeat the year and was unaware the uni had even withdrawn me as they accepted my extenuating circumstances. Don't know what to do as I only get tax credits because job seekers are just long winded a procedure to meet my needs.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by simsim75)
Compelling personal reasons to do with my home repairs and my daughter going into care. I'm in my final year and only attended the first two weeks after having been deferred from Sept starter to Feb starter. Now student finance wants their grant money back. I am a lone parent of three 20, (17 in care now) and 11 years old. I need to repeat the year and was unaware the uni had even withdrawn me as they accepted my extenuating circumstances. Don't know what to do as I only get tax credits because job seekers are just long winded a procedure to meet my needs.
It sounds like a difficult situation and I'm really sorry about the problems you're having and your daughter going into care. From the unis perspective, they may have accepted your extenuating circumstances which may have also lead them to withdraw you from the course. Did you take any notes when all this was going on or do you have any emails about it all? It may be worth contacting your advisor and also the SU to see where you stand but if you were withdrawn then student finance can ask for their money back as it was given to you to study (as harsh as it sounds!). Your 20 year old is technically an adult now so maybe they can help in some way by getting a job?
simsim75
Rep:
?
Thanks for the reply.Yes I provided them with emails. SF have requested their money back, but I no longer have it. Im more concerned with how I will now complete the rest of my degree and where?
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks for the reply.Yes I provided them with emails. SF have requested their money back, but I no longer have it. Im more concerned with how I will now complete the rest of my degree and where?
If you've been withdrawn for extenuating circumstances you can either go back to the same uni or take a transcript of your credits and grades and see where else will let you finish your degree. I think your bigger problem will be getting finance as SF will not fund you if you're in a dispute with them.
simsim75
Rep:
?
Oh thanks for the information. Ive tried speaking to the assistant dean but he has not responded to any of my calls or emails. Do you know what SF would say if the status was changed by my uni from withdrawal to deferral? Would they still require theyre money back from me? Would i be able to continue study? Really appreciate your help
simsim75
Rep:
?
(Original post by alleycat393)
If you've been withdrawn for extenuating circumstances you can either go back to the same uni or take a transcript of your credits and grades and see where else will let you finish your degree. I think your bigger problem will be getting finance as SF will not fund you if you're in a dispute with them.
I have tried contacting the assistant dean, however he has not responded to any of my emails or phone messages. I was told i needed to speak with him because he could authorise a form to be filled for deferal that uni finance could then notify SF of status change from withdrawal to Deferral. Do you know if this information is correct and if yes would student finance still request for immediate payment of monies already paid? Would they then consider providing the funding assessd for the rest of the year when studies resume?
simsim75
Rep:
?
(Original post by alleycat393)
Also do you know if I were to take transcript what certificate classification would I receive. I have accumulated 220 credits thus far and just embarked upon year 3 with one resit of a year two module to complete? What certificate of study would the uni give to me?
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Also do you know if I were to take transcript what certificate classification would I receive. I have accumulated 220 credits thus far and just embarked upon year 3 with one resit of a year two module to complete? What certificate of study would the uni give to me?
If uni finance has told you who to contact then that's who you need to contact. It will be different for each uni. As I said before your tutor and the SU should also be able to help. I don't know how that would affect student finance wanting their money back. You'll have to speak to them. I'm going to move this to the relevant forum to help with that. The uni will just give you a certificate saying how many credits you've completed and what grades you achieved in which modules.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads