GG16
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi

Please may someone

describe the change to the pattern seen on the screen when the violet laser is replaced by a green laser. Assume the brightness of the central maximum is the same for both lasers.

I do not understand why the pattern becomes further apart I would have said closer
username2395571
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Violet light has a shorter wavelength compared to green light. Therefore,when green light is diffracted through the double slits it will diffract by a larger amount compared to the violet light. A greater amount of diffraction will lead to an interference pattern being formed on the screen which is spread out over a wider area, hence the fringe spacing (w) on the interference pattern will be larger with green light compared to violet light.

The fringe spacing is equal to the distance between two individual maxima (bright fringes) on the interference pattern.
GG16
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Chlozza27)
Violet light has a shorter wavelength compared to green light. Therefore,when green light is diffracted through the double slits it will diffract by a larger amount compared to the violet light. A greater amount of diffraction will lead to an interference pattern being formed on the screen which is spread out over a wider area, hence the fringe spacing (w) on the interference pattern will be larger with green light compared to violet light.

The fringe spacing is equal to the distance between two individual maxima (bright fringes) on the interference pattern.
Thank you this really helps
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by GG16)
Hi

Please may someone

describe the change to the pattern seen on the screen when the violet laser is replaced by a green laser. Assume the brightness of the central maximum is the same for both lasers.

I do not understand why the pattern becomes further apart I would have said closer
You can apply the common fringe formula

x= \dfrac {\lambda D}{a}

to realise why the pattern becomes further apart.
username2395571
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by GG16)
Thank you this really helps
No worries! Good luck for the Physics exam, I'm really nervous
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (82)
27.42%
England (100)
33.44%
Belgium (26)
8.7%
Germany (37)
12.37%
Spain (5)
1.67%