Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to apply for either history or Media at a slightly above average university, will they not let me in because of my appauling maths grade, this is really scaring me because i dont want to have to re take the GCSE because there's no room for it im already doing four A Levels and im not dropping any! Please tell me it wont matter! All my other GCSE grades are high, and my AS levels are two A's and two C's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danii17)
    I'm looking to apply for either history or Media at a slightly above average university, will they not let me in because of my appauling maths grade, this is really scaring me because i dont want to have to re take the GCSE because there's no room for it im already doing four A Levels and im not dropping any! Please tell me it wont matter! All my other GCSE grades are high, and my AS levels are two A's and two C's
    I'd think it unlikely myself. Look on their entry requirements, what GCSE grades do they require?

Anyway, a D isn't that bad. It could be worse, like no maths at all, or E,F,G,U.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    I'd think it unlikely myself. Look on their entry requirements, what GCSE grades do they require?

Anyway, a D isn't that bad. It could be worse, like no maths at all, or E,F,G,U.
    But you know how snobbish some people are! On some courses it says GCSE English and maths grade c minumum but some just say english grade c minumum , confused!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to scare monger, but without (some pretty heavyweight) extenuating circumstances - a D in GCSE Maths is a bit shaky.

A lot of places demand Cs (and sometimes Bs) in GCSE Maths and English Language, as a minimum entry stipulation.

ReputationRep:
    A LOT of employers ask for C (minimum) grades in English and Maths. I think that it is advisable to retake your GCSE Maths at some point in the future. I know one person who retook his English GCSE in his second year of uni due to employment pressures!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by achieb)
    A LOT of employers ask for C (minimum) grades in English and Maths. I think that it is advisable to retake your GCSE Maths at some point in the future. I know one person who retook his English GCSE in his second year of uni due to employment pressures!
    Are you seriouly telling me an employer is going to look at your GCSE certificates- just lie ffs.

ReputationRep:
    i'd just retake it, every uni i looked at needed a C or above in english and maths. They were ones in the top 20, so if you wanted one of them i would deffo retake

ReputationRep:
    You should really re-take it, most universities will want a grade C - and more importantly, so will most employers. Although if your other grades are really good and you get a degree from a decent university it will probably be overlooked. I personally wouldn't take the risk.

ReputationRep:
    Retake it. My friend did it in his A2 year - it was one evening a week for 2 hours, and it was definitely worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Will you..? I don't know...

Should you..? Hell yes! Like how hard did you have to try to screw up so badly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    Will you..? I don't know...

Should you..? Hell yes! Like how hard did you have to try to screw up so badly?
    lol thats a little harsh!

ReputationRep:
    If you take history, GCSE Math is not that useful. I don't think media courses need math too. You could retake it if you want. If you have good A-levels and a grade D in Math and grade C and above in English, they might let you in.

ReputationRep:
    Retake it, a d in maths doesn't look good on ucas/cv!

ReputationRep:
    But there is no space for her to retake math though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev1122)
    But there is no space for her to retake math though.
    Can she not do it in January or are all gcses in June?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, she could do it in June. Math is quite easy anyway. If you don't pass it the first time, it's possible to pass it the second time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev1122)
    Yeah, she could do it in June. Math is quite easy anyway. If you don't pass it the first time, it's possible to pass it the second time.
    lol what if i take it and get the same grade, it will be sooo depressing

ReputationRep:
    I hate GCSE Maths with a passion.

WHY oh WHY do my parents insist I retake it in the first year of College...I just know that as soon as I manage to get a C they will split the exam into 2 GCSEs (They were planning to a while ago)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnt)
    I hate GCSE Maths with a passion.

WHY oh WHY do my parents insist I retake it in the first year of College...I just know that as soon as I manage to get a C they will split the exam into 2 GCSEs (They were planning to a while ago)
    i hated it with a passion too, i mean, exactly what the hell is it relevent for, there's always a calculator!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Yes. They will kill you.

Not really

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.