Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i think u can get a C, unless its different for different boards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharleeB)
    i think u can get a C, unless its different for different boards.
    Im sure its the same across all boards.

ReputationRep:
    wow, i just looked on the net and i think that ure right. my maths teacher said that the highest u can get is a C although he didn't enter any1 for it. I just assumed that it was a C because you can get it on all other subjects at foundation level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharleeB)
    wow, i just looked on the net and i think that ure right. my maths teacher said that the highest u can get is a C although he didn't enter any1 for it. I just assumed that it was a C because you can get it on all other subjects at foundation level.
    I know. So I'd have to do intermediate. What if i did key skills in maths , would the uni accept that over a C in maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danii17)
    It was intermediate, and on foundation the highest you can achieve is a D
    I know people that got Cs on foundation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    I know people that got Cs on foundation.
    I dont think its possible, what board was this?

ReputationRep:
    I think it could cause problems, although it depends where you apply & what for. Even a C sometimes is a little shakey for above average unis... who would want to know that you are not only capable, but adept. You should definitely retake it, I think it's possibly more important to have all the GCSE grades than to have 4 full A-levels. I mean you can get into any university with just 3, along with decent GCSE grades....

ReputationRep:
    I dont think its possible, what board was this?
    AQA but I'm sure it's on anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I know. So I'd have to do intermediate. What if i did key skills in maths , would the uni accept that over a C in maths?
    Unis don't accept key skills at all. They usually say they just "encourage" them, but they are pretty worthless.

ReputationRep:
    I shouldn't be too concerned considering what you're choosing to study at uni.

ReputationRep:
    No u dont understand, it was reeeallly good of you to get a B, but for me, it just will not happen i really am sh*t at maths. Ill be lucky to salvage a C, i just hate the thought of re sitting and getting the same or lower results which is whats likely to happen due to my sheer crapness at that darned subject, i just know its going to stop me doing what i want to do now. To think, brunel is on my ucas application list, so thanks to the person who said i need it! I'd better sort it out this year but ill only have one chance and thats in June, if i screw that up, then what am i to do??
    Don't worry you can get a C, I got a C and didn't know what I was writing.

ReputationRep:
    I seem to remember that when I did my maths GCSE (it was with the WJEC though for some reason), if the coursework was good and I took the higher paper I only needed something like 30/200 to get a C. Is it like that for other boards?

ReputationRep:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CHL

"Retake it, I needed it as I was until last month a A2 Student and needed it for my entry into University. I got a D at school and I really thought I screwed it up this time round and ended up with a B, if I can do it you can to so go go go ! :P "

"No u dont understand, it was reeeallly good of you to get a B, but for me, it just will not happen i really am sh*t at maths. Ill be lucky to salvage a C, i just hate the thought of re sitting and getting the same or lower results which is whats likely to happen due to my sheer crapness at that darned subject, i just know its going to stop me doing what i want to do now. To think, brunel is on my ucas application list, so thanks to the person who said i need it! I'd better sort it out this year but ill only have one chance and thats in June, if i screw that up, then what am i to do?? "

No turst me when my result was due out last week I expected to get a D , you may think Im a bod at maths but I'm totally the opposite I am not a natural at maths at ALL. I know for a fact that I got atleast 3/4 whole questions wrong on each paper but with afew private lessons outside of college ( I didnt even turn up to most of the college lectuers (that isnt bragging)) you can do a decent coursework and work through past papers with a private tutor once every 2 weeks or so...or maybe just go with a private tutor amonth before the exam.. turst me It WILL pay off !

ReputationRep:
    Most universities want GCSE maths at a C at least, and some at a B. If they were to turn you down because of your GCSE grade, it wouldn't be discrimination, merely following their admissions policy. I'd find the time to retake it if I were you.

ReputationRep:
    I've only just started my AS year, so I'm not an expert or anything, but my school's 6th form makes everyone who got a D or an E in maths resit. It's not only all the decent unis that want Cs in English and maths, but most employers as well. Another option would be to take a level 2 Key Skill in application of number. This is what students at my school who got Fs, Gs or Us in maths take intead of a resit and if you really don't think you'll get a C second time around, it could be worth thinking about. It's becoming broadly recognised as the equivalent of a grade C at GCSE, but to be on the safe side, a GCSE would be better and there'd be no chance of them not accepting it.

It may be possible to be entered for the exams, but not go to any lessons- just buy the right books and work at home, getting help from a teacher when necessary. As you weren't that far off a C and already have a heavy workload, they may let you do this. But even if you have to go to lessons, it's better than being rejected by somewhere you really want to go because of a subject you have no interest in! Better safe than sorry.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.