Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to wish Iraq all the best in tommorrows Olympics semi final. If they do win Gold i think it will be on par with Jesse Owen's achievements in Berlin' 36, if not better.

ReputationRep:
    How does Olympics football work - why don't we have a team? Why are all the world's finest missing? How have Iraq managed to get to the Semis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    How does Olympics football work - why don't we have a team? Why are all the world's finest missing? How have Iraq managed to get to the Semis?
    I'm not sure if professionals are allowed to participate. If they are they don't seem to want to take part. Shame really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    It's because we're Great Britain in the Olympics, and the English/Scottish/Welsh FA's are all too anal to actually get together for once. There are a couple of good teams (Italy and Argentina), most of the better ones don't compete, while even those two field youth teams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I'm not sure if professionals are allowed to participate. If they are they don't seem to want to take part. Shame really.
    That's a bit crap then; surely Olympics should be about showcasing the world's best rather than the second-best. "Sorry Rooney, you're too good for the Olympics". I'd be surprised if people don't want to take part - surely they can sacrifice a couple of Premiership games for the chance of an Olympics medal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    That's a bit crap then; surely Olympics should be about showcasing the world's best rather than the second-best. "Sorry Rooney, you're too good for the Olympics". I'd be surprised if people don't want to take part - surely they can sacrifice a couple of Premiership games for the chance of an Olympics medal?
    The pros do play - Cristiano Ronaldo is off Manchester United duty to compete.

The only non-pro Olympic sport is boxing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Olympic football is basically under 23's. The reason why we dont have a team is because we would have to enter as Team GB. The problem with this is that it would mean Gb would consist of 4 football associations (eng, scot etc) and under FIFA rules this is not allowed.

If GB was entered for Olympic football it would have to under one national football association.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    I hear you. There was a time when professionals couldn't take part in basketball but we know they can now. I'm not sure if they relaxed the rules for other events since I've only seen bits of the olympics this year.

But look at boxing. I'm not sure many professionals take part in there either. I'd sacrifice a few games for a chance of an Olympic medal With the current teams playing if we took part we should win. I heard Brazil got knocked out in the qualifications!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by watford110)
    The reason why we dont have a team is because we would have to enter as Team GB. The problem with this is that it would mean Gb would consist of 4 football associations (eng, scot etc) and under FIFA rules this is not allowed.

If GB was entered for Olympic football it would have to under one national football association.
    Bah, beaurocratic nonsense. It'd take 5 minutes to come up with a decent squad with players from our four "nations".

ReputationRep:
    Oh,I saw the reactions of iraqies on TV,they were dancing,and jumping allaround,they were so happy,although I dont know anything about olympics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Bah, beaurocratic nonsense. It'd take 5 minutes to come up with a decent squad with players from our four "nations".
    themz da rules tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by watford110)
    themz da rules tho
    da rulez suks tho innit

ReputationRep:
    The same applies to the american basketball team they should have destroyed lithuania, and puerto rico yet they were defeated. Also not all of the best american basketball players competed, back in the day the dream team truly deserved that name since their squad consisted of NBA all stars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwarwick)
    The same applies to the american basketball team they should have destroyed lithuania, and puerto rico yet they were defeated. Also not all of the best american basketball players competed, back in the day the dream team truly deserved that name since their squad consisted of NBA all stars.
    I believe USA's basketball record is 109 wins, 2 losses?

Well it looks like basketball, football, boxing etc is making a mockery of the Olympics. I'd have thought these championships are supposed to showcase the world's finest sportsmen and women. Instead we have some such as athletics and swimming where indeed the finest compete, whereas elsewhere you have a bunch of "second tier" players, with those actually deserved of Olympic success banned from competing for whatever bizarre reason.

And I thought Eurovision was bad...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    I believe USA's basketball record is 109 wins, 2 losses?

Well it looks like basketball, football, boxing etc is making a mockery of the Olympics. I'd have thought these championships are supposed to showcase the world's finest sportsmen and women. Instead we have some such as athletics and swimming where indeed the finest compete, whereas elsewhere you have a bunch of "second tier" players, with those actually deserved of Olympic success banned from competing for whatever bizarre reason.
    Be fair to the boxing - it is the world's finest in everything but the heavyweight.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.