The Student Room Group

-mom says my younger brother is too young for boxers

How do I convince my mom to not force my younger brother to wear briefs. My younger brother is 16 in July and is currently doing his gcse's,, He has been begging my mom for years to let him wear boxers, and is so embarrased when anyone sees his briefs. He has liked briefs but not since he was 13. My mom has no respect for his freedom of choices , he said the other day that he feels humiliated when he has been in his year 11 pe lessons because all the other guys wear boxers and he wears red briefs and they apparently show through his white sport shorts . She made a really big scene to humilate me. I am 23 and i brought him some boxers behind her back and she threw away all of the boxers, and made him have to chip in for the briefs with his own money. I complained to her but she did not listen he says he don't want to change in the lockers in briefs. And he certainly don't want girls seeing them, especially since he becoming a sixth former . How do I convince her or do I just ignore it and let mom buy the underwear she wants because really at the end of the day she is the one who is looking after him and it should be her choice and if she prefers him in briefs then he should respect it until he gets older ?
(edited 6 years ago)
Lmao, What is her reasoning?
Your mother is a terrible mother you should get away drom her as fast as possible she seems to be the type that ruins their childs lives.
she says briefs are better as they are tight supportive and good for sport and she thinks boxers are too baggy, I suppose he is still a child so she has got a right to make choices for him, I mean when he was 12 and younger I would have supported mom wanting him briefs as they are appropriate to younger boys but not now, I suppose he will have to wear briefs until she thinks he is old enough to have a say which is not yet
What the hell?

Lingerie choice should be an individual's own decision. I would kind of understand your mother's point of view if your brother was wearing raunchy underclothing (for example thongs, though again, I believe that the kind of underwear people wear is their own business), but there is absolutely nothing wrong with boxers and neither is he at the age where she should be picking out his clothes. He is perfectly capable of choosing what he wants to wear, especially if he is 15/16 years of age.

She seems like a control freak and I honestly pity your brother.
This reminds me of moms that don't let daughters wear bras until they're in their late teens :angry:
Why the f*** doesn't he buy his own boxers.
Original post by queenofswords
This reminds me of moms that don't let daughters wear bras until they're in their late teens :angry:

yes I know he will be at least late teens before he is out of briefs
Reply 8
Just be brief with her.
Reply 9
your mum is far too controlling, this is just OTT

there does come an age where wearing briefs can get a bit embarrassing in the changing rooms. My parents had no issue's at all when I said I wanted to get some boxers. Her throwing the boxers you gave him away was extreme .. I seriously don't know what's wrong with your mum.......
She's clearly not well. It's so harsh to say but if she's so over controlling about something so ridiculous, how OTT is she with other parts of his life? Was she like this with you?
Reply 11
Explain that kids bully other kids for this reason and that wearing boxers is just the simplest and quickest way to avoid this. If kids are too young to wear boxers they wouldn't make them for them.
Original post by alexandra foster
How do I convince my mom to not force my younger brother to wear briefs. My younger brother is 16 in July and is currently doing his gcse's,, He has been begging my mom for years to let him wear boxers, and is so embarrased when anyone sees his briefs. He has liked briefs but not since he was 13. My mom has no respect for his freedom of choices , he said the other day that he feels humiliated when he has been in his year 11 pe lessons because all the other guys wear boxers and he wears red briefs and they apparently show through his white sport shorts . She made a really big scene to humilate me. I am 23 and i brought him some boxers behind her back and she threw away all of the boxers, and made him have to chip in for the briefs with his own money. I complained to her but she did not listen he says he don't want to change in the lockers in briefs. And he certainly don't want girls seeing them, especially since he becoming a sixth former . How do I convince her or do I just ignore it and let mom buy the underwear she wants because really at the end of the day she is the one who is looking after him and it should be her choice and if she prefers him in briefs then he should respect it until he gets older ?

He is 16, he can sort it out himself, cant he secretly buy some?
Original post by Anon881
Explain that kids bully other kids for this reason and that wearing boxers is just the simplest and quickest way to avoid this. If kids are too young to wear boxers they wouldn't make them for them.

You just revived a 3 year old thread... Don't do that.
Original post by x_anonymous_x
He is 16, he can sort it out himself, cant he secretly buy some?

He is no longer 16 but 19 now. Old thread.
Original post by Anonymous
we need updates, duh

Those users likely don't use the website any more. There will be no updates.
Original post by sufys12
Those users likely don't use the website any more. There will be no updates.

just checked their profile

Spoiler

Original post by Anonymous
just checked their profile

Spoiler

Again, you will never get updates so never revive threads.

Latest

Trending

Trending