Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ive just been to my enrolment appointment and i was told i was 2 hours short of my timetable so i had to do general studies, but doesnt everyone think this is a stupid AS level?

(Original post by Monkey_Maiden)
    ive just been to my enrolment appointment and i was told i was 2 hours short of my timetable so i had to do general studies, but doesnt everyone think this is a stupid AS level?
    I didn't do it last year (for my AS's) but this year Im taking AS general studies alongside the A2 as an exam only thing. I think that your view will depend on what you are trying to get out of it. Most higher ranked Uni's don't accept it but there are a few good Uni's that do (e.g. Sheffield). Most student think it is a "joke subject" but I suppose that if you get a decent grade in any subject, you are better with it than without it!!!

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    I did the AS, and without doing anywork or doing anything in lessons got an E. I hated the subject and the exam though. I found it a waste of time, as most unis do ignore it.

Phil

ReputationRep:
    yeah i thought so, well it was either that or japanese! lol

I hear good things about oriental languages...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PHIL)
    I did the AS, and without doing anywork or doing anything in lessons got an E. I hated the subject and the exam though. I found it a waste of time, as most unis do ignore it.

Phil
    But I did it for AS as an exam only thing - no lessons (the school made a **** up when entering people for exams - long story, but in short our entire 6th form had to do AS General Studies) and I got a B. I was gonna leave it at that, but then I had my Uni interviews etc, and when I got my offer from East Anglia it included General Studies, which could be counted as a 3rd subject (which meant I either didn't need maths or physics). Its probably worth doing the AS at least - at least it'll broaden out your A-Levels (for me it proved I could write essays since all my other subjects were science ones).

ReputationRep:
    It is a stupid A-level in the fact tat going to your lessons will not help you in the exam. I was expmpt from lessons (due to taking AS further maths) but still got an A in the exam.

The subject is basicacally looking at your knowlege of important issues, your ability to follow complex arguments and to think critiacally and logically - not things which can be easily taught a couple of periods a week.

If you do want to to well read the papers and make sure you have a good working knowlege of arugement for and against issues in society.

The skills tested on the paper are probably quite useful so it's a pity unis take no notice.

ReputationRep:
    What other subjects ya down for?

Phil

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PHIL)
    What other subjects ya down for?

Phil
    im also doing: biology, geography, environmental science and I.T

by the way ive heard a few opinions from peope saying I.T was really hard is it?

ReputationRep:
    im also doing: biology, geography, environmental science and I.T

by the way ive heard a few opinions from peope saying I.T was really hard is it?
    I took AS and found it pretty easy and I think most people did ok. A2 has a lot of coursework which takes lots of time and effort so think carefully before taking it to A2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    I took AS and found it pretty easy and I think most people did ok. A2 has a lot of coursework which takes lots of time and effort so think carefully before taking it to A2.
    thanx, i am planning to drop it after AS to continue my other choices, i chose it as apparantly if you apply to most jobs they would prefer someone with computer experience

General Studies is a waste of time. As previously mentioned, most places don't accept it, and what use is an A-level like that where I went to no lessons or did any revision and still got an A? Pointless grade.

ReputationRep:
    the coleges get paid per student, per subject. see where this is going??

so if they get you to do general studies, they get more money basically- they are being greedy with the money!!

i suggest do what i did, sign up, dont bother turning up and dont get entered!

ReputationRep:
    waste of tym if u ask me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rahul)
    waste of tym if u ask me!
    Plus, most good universities dont really consider it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    the coleges get paid per student, per subject. see where this is going??

so if they get you to do general studies, they get more money basically- they are being greedy with the money!!

i suggest do what i did, sign up, dont bother turning up and dont get entered!
    Thats why we had to take the AS exam - the burser entered 200 students for AS General Studies (my whole sixth form) because he assumed we were being taught it. However the school could hardly enter 200 people, spend all the money we get and then have nobody turn up to the exam!!! Nor could they send the money back (since it got spemt!), so in the end we had to sit it. Worth it though cos I got a B!!

(Original post by loftx)
    It is a stupid A-level in the fact tat going to your lessons will not help you in the exam. I was expmpt from lessons (due to taking AS further maths) but still got an A in the exam.
    Will people stop saying General Studies is a stupid A Level?!?!! OK, you shouldn't have to waste time learning it in class,that's a problem with your college - we walked into the exam having never had a lesson. Instead of other subjects where you're being tested on how good you are at memorising and regurgitating, General Studies actually tests how good you are all-round, how up to date you are with foreign affairs etc. In my exam I got to write about racism, AIDS, world cup football, air pollution and journalism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    Will people stop saying General Studies is a stupid A Level?!?!! OK, you shouldn't have to waste time learning it in class,that's a problem with your college - we walked into the exam having never had a lesson. Instead of other subjects where you're being tested on how good you are at memorising and regurgitating, General Studies actually tests how good you are all-round, how up to date you are with foreign affairs etc. In my exam I got to write about racism, AIDS, world cup football, air pollution and journalism.
    If you read the whole of my post you will find I am not saying it is a stupid A-level, just pointing out that any A-level where the teaching does not realete to what you're being tested on is stupid.

The only reason I used the word stupid was becuase it was used by the original poster.

I think the skills tested on the general studies paper are very useful and it's a good idea to have a qualification which tests them. In my opinion,, not having lessons and just turning up for the exam would work better becuase the skills tested in general studies are not the sort of thing that can be taught one period a week.

Sorry for repeating myself but either you didn't read my post or I explained it badly, but my view of GS sounds very similar to yours.

ReputationRep:
    No AS level's stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vahe10)
    Plus, most good universities dont really consider it.
    A Level General Studies is the only reason I managed to get into Leeds Uni. I messed my French A Level getting an E when I'd been predicted a C so didn't make the points from my original 3 A levels but because Leeds recognised General Studies I got in. It'd be worth taking it as it does require much work, as others have said, so would leave time for your other subjects. I did the exam back in the day (before AS/A2) tho when then paper was a couple of short essays and a load of multiple choice questions on a variety of really random subjects, don't really know what the new AS questions are like.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.