General studies? Watch

This discussion is closed.
NmB
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Monkey_Maiden)
ive just been to my enrolment appointment and i was told i was 2 hours short of my timetable so i had to do general studies, but doesnt everyone think this is a stupid AS level?
I am doing AS General Studies now and find it realy interesting. i found this web site while trying to do home work for General Studies. The essay my teacher gave me is realy hard, don't underestimate the subject.
Anyway i'm not going to uni so i don;t care if they eccept it or not.
Digz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I did General Studies A level. I didn't go to the lessons, and just learnt the different types of argument and knowledge on the morning before the exam. I got an A at the end of it all. I think it's because it's "easy" to get a good grade, it's viewed as a waste of time...I found that it doesn't really depend on how much general knowledge you have, but your ability to disect a statement and argue it (basically, waffle). I have to say yes I'm one of the people who see it as a waste of time, because it can intrude on other exams, especially on days when you find yourself having 6 hours of exams, with the energy drained early on because of General Studies! Another grade is another grade though!
.NK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
General Studies is a waste of time. As previously mentioned, most places don't accept it, and what use is an A-level like that where I went to no lessons or did any revision and still got an A? Pointless grade.
I don't understand why you're complaining.

If you didnt go to any lessons, didn't do any revision but got an A then it was only a 'waste' of about 4/5 hours of your life.

I can think of plenty of ways to waste that amount of time and not get an extra A level...
.NK
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
Will people stop saying General Studies is a stupid A Level?!?!! ... Instead of other subjects where you're being tested on how good you are at memorising and regurgitating, General Studies actually tests how good you are all-round, how up to date you are with foreign affairs etc.
I completely agree. As I said somewhere else...(possibly The Site) the majority of people that say it's a waste of time are those who never went to lessons or whose school didn't provide lessons, even if they did well in the exam.

I had to go to lessons in it, and found it really interesting! I wouldn't say it was a waste of time at all. There's no other lessons where you can discuss the same kind of topics. I enjoyed talking and thinking about subjects that are in the news and therefore relevant and up-to-date rather than learning the same things the people who took the exam five years ago learnt.
.NK
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Digz)
I found that it doesn't really depend on how much general knowledge you have, but your ability to disect a statement and argue it
Which is a skill you can't prove you have if all your other subjects are sciences...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (170)
26.98%
No (460)
73.02%

Watched Threads