What will happen without university fees?

Watch
Blackstarr
Badges: 20
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Labour is proposing to scarp university fees.

I am really curious to know what will happen without university fees?
username1201943
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Stupidest idea ever really. They should lower it to 3k and leave it there. Making it free will mean wallies like the poster above will start going uni and in the long run all degrees will be worthless
clumsyorange
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by UnknownRoyalist)
Stupidest idea ever really. They should lower it to 3k and leave it there. Making it free will mean wallies like the poster above will start going uni and in the long run all degrees will be worthless
Precisely; the sentiment of tuition-scrapping is well and all, but what's the point of uni if you're not making an investment in your future? And would anyone take it seriously if it were free?
THE_ROCK_WWE
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm not 100% sure but if university fees are scrapped more people will have degrees. This would lead to more job competition and an improvement in labour in the long run so wouldn't that be a good thing? It still separates the worse from the good and degrees will not be worthless.

Also grade boundaries will remain high since universities will have more applicants. This means they are less likely to accept students who didn't meet the criteria. Hence making degrees more competitive and more desirable. This is just what I thought of the matter but im not 100% sure if that would be the case. Correct me if I am misguided on the matter lol.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Making it free will mean wallies like the poster above will start going uni
It seems like a reasonable question to me.

and in the long run all degrees will be worthless
Employers know which universities produce good candidates.

What happened to degree standards when the percentage of the population doing them expanded from 10% to 50%?
bex.anne
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Making it free doesn't mean everyones just going to start going to uni, universities still have limited numbers of places, uni will just become more competitive with their admissions (isn't a bad thing for the vast majority of degrees). It's free in scotland and they didnt see a surge in people wanting to spend 3 years of their life doing a degree for no reason, so I think people like the above posters are just disliking the idea for no reason.
username1201943
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by THE_ROCK_WWE)
I'm not 100% sure but if university fees are scrapped more people will have degrees. This would lead to more job competition and an improvement in labour in the long run so wouldn't that be a good thing? It still separates the worse from the good and degrees will not be worthless.

Also grade boundaries will remain high since universities will have more applicants. This means they are less likely to accept students who didn't meet the criteria. Hence making degrees more competitive and more desirable. This is just what I thought of the matter but im not 100% sure if that would be the case. Correct me if I am misguided on the matter lol.
I'm assuming you've done some economics before? Your theory is right if ceteris paribus. You can look up the Solow Growth Model which explains why having such a large % of the population being highly educated (Bachelors and above) isn't always a good thing from an economic POV
Jackieox
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by bex.anne)
Making it free doesn't mean everyones just going to start going to uni, universities still have limited numbers of places, uni will just become more competitive with their admissions (isn't a bad thing for the vast majority of degrees). It's free in scotland and they didnt see a surge in people wanting to spend 3 years of their life doing a degree for no reason, so I think people like the above posters are just disliking the idea for no reason.
You missed the part where more and more scottish students are being denied places in favour of international students...
aod101
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
University should be for all even those who want to read Hand Embroidery, Floral design or Oenology.

Communism will win.
yungaheartz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Idiots will be able to go to university
Doomsday Bunny
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by yungaheartz)
So how is that different to now?
JMR2021_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You will not have to pay them.
ForgetMe
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Better lower them down instead of making studies cost nothing. Or at least provide it for free for a limited amount of the best grade holders and the rest would just have to pay a reduced fee.
EnglishNoobC
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would guess applications to university would be more competitive than ever. University rankings would also probably be much more important

Posted from TSR Mobile
Khanman123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ForgetMe)
Better lower them down instead of making studies cost nothing. Or at least provide it for free for a limited amount of the best grade holders and the rest would just have to pay a reduced fee.
I was thinking the same, why not reduce fees for good courses and top students.
Hassan musbau
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Could anyone please do me a favour by tell me the available university website?
Hassan musbau
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
And how to applied.contact me throug my email address [email protected]
123chem
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by yungaheartz)
How? Universities arent lowering their criteria, so that's not possible. Infact, less idiots will go to uni, due to increased competition and people who are smart but poor will be able to get in.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If anything, surely it'll be more difficult to get into uni because more people will apply?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (174)
58.98%
I don't have everything I need (121)
41.02%

Watched Threads