Pebbles47
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
why are halogenoalkanes more reactive than alkanes? also why do they have higher boiling points?
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Pebbles47)
why are halogenoalkanes more reactive than alkanes? also why do they have higher boiling points?
1. They have a functional group (the halogen) that distorts the electron distribution in the molecule making it susceptible to attack by reagents.

2. The polarity makes intermolecular forces stronger.
Swissblade
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They have polar bonds C^{\delta ^{+}}-X^{\delta ^{-}}, where X is a halogen, hence have permanent dipole-dipole forces. Alkanes don't have polar bonds therefore only have weak van der Waals forces between them.
Nuha.R
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Haloalkanes generally have a boiling point that is higher than the alkane they are derived from. This is due to the increased molecular weight due to the large halogen atoms and the increased intermolecular forces due to the polar bonds, and the increasing polarizabilty of the halogen.
they are more reactive because as you go down the group reactivity increases i.e. the weaker the bond the lower the activation energy and hence, faster the reaction. R-I>R-Br>R-Cl
hope your Q is answered...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads