The Student Room Group

Economics Essay Structure

If a question was to say something like "Evaluate the view that a monopoly is always bad"
If you structure it by doing 2 points as to why you agree and 2 points as to why you disagree, would this be sufficient for evaluation (Excluding any evaluation in the conclusion) or are you required to evaluate each point you make?
It depends on your exam board, but you may not have enough time to do 4 points. For AQA you barely have enough to do 3.

I think for both edexcel and AQA you are required to "evaluate throughout" which means evaluating every point.
Original post by tommartin29
It depends on your exam board, but you may not have enough time to do 4 points. For AQA you barely have enough to do 3.

I think for both edexcel and AQA you are required to "evaluate throughout" which means evaluating every point.

not OP but I have my first A2 Economics exam next week I'm with AQA, wondering how many points I need to do for my 25 mark essay questions? I thought it was 3 points for and 3 point against. Or maybe I've misunderstood my teacher, I did fail my AS exams after all.
I always thought the 25 mark essay structure was:
Introduction and Definitions,
Arguments for and arguments against (3 each evaluating each point and linking to mark scheme/ real world application)
Conclusion answering the question and explaining why and evaluate this further also thinking about other policies/ longrun shortrun
I finally understood that's is more about how well you develop each point and 2-3 developed points is more than enough. Just an a2 student as well but for questions like this it's more of saying the negatives but after each point it depends mustbe taken by a case by case basis for examples some monopolies and then going on to explain an advantage as a form of evaluation
Original post by salmonman123
not OP but I have my first A2 Economics exam next week I'm with AQA, wondering how many points I need to do for my 25 mark essay questions? I thought it was 3 points for and 3 point against. Or maybe I've misunderstood my teacher, I did fail my AS exams after all.
I always thought the 25 mark essay structure was:
Introduction and Definitions,
Arguments for and arguments against (3 each evaluating each point and linking to mark scheme/ real world application)
Conclusion answering the question and explaining why and evaluate this further also thinking about other policies/ longrun shortrun

6 points is way too much imo, because AQA only requires 2 fully developed points for full marks. I would go on the safe side and do 3, fully developed (multiple chains of reasoning) and evaluated points with a judgement at the end that weighs up all the issues against each other.
Reply 5
3 points. Always.

Quick Reply

Latest