diffusion, osmosis and active transport

Watch
letsrespire
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Could you explain how diffusion, osmosis and active transport works please?
Lisa.Williams
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Diffusion: the movement of particles (as a whole) from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. This doesn't require energy and can happen across a partially permeable membrane (or none).
Osmosis: the movement of water molecules from an area of high water concentration to an area of low water concentration across a partially permeable membrane. This also doesn't require energy.
Active transport: the movement of dissolved substances from an area of low concentration to an area of high concentration. Since this goes against the concentration gradient, energy is required. You may also need to learn the function of ATP in active transport but i'm not too sure...
Hope that helps!
(Original post by letsrespire)
Could you explain how diffusion, osmosis and active transport works please?
letsrespire
Rep:
?
Thank you. I was wondering if active transport works from high concentration to low concentration?

(Original post by Lisa.Williams)
Diffusion: the movement of particles (as a whole) from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. This doesn't require energy and can happen across a partially permeable membrane (or none).
Osmosis: the movement of water molecules from an area of high water concentration to an area of low water concentration across a partially permeable membrane. This also doesn't require energy.
Active transport: the movement of dissolved substances from an area of low concentration to an area of high concentration. Since this goes against the concentration gradient, energy is required. You may also need to learn the function of ATP in active transport but i'm not too sure...
Hope that helps!
Lisa.Williams
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You're welcome.
No, active transport goes from low to high and this is especially useful for root hair cells getting dissolved minerals from the soil. In humans, an example of active transport would be in the small intestine. I know that it can be pretty confusing...
Thank you. I was wondering if active transport works from high concentration to low concentration?
letsrespire
Rep:
?
Thank you so much. I got confused because I thought there would be more minerals inside the soil compared to the minerals in the plants haha.

You're welcome.
No, active transport goes from low to high and this is especially useful for root hair cells getting dissolved minerals from the soil. In humans, an example of active transport would be in the small intestine. I know that it can be pretty confusing...
Lisa.Williams
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's okay. I know what you mean, i also thought that (and it probably is the case for some areas). Unfortunately, the exam board had to go and throw something a little more confusing as if we didn't have enough to worry about.
Not long left now though until we finish high school so lets make one last push and make every year of school count towards the amazing results we all want!!
I wish you the best of luck for all your exams and life after school!
Thank you so much. I got confused because I thought there would be more minerals inside the soil compared to the minerals in the plants haha.
CandidateZero
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In addition to the useful information provided above, you should also note that whilst diffusion and osmosis are passive processes (not using energy), active transport uses the energy (from respiration in all living organisms) in order to shift chemicals from their low concentration into a region of their higher concentration (such as nitrates in a plant). It is the fact that it is against the concentration gradient that means it demands energy.
letsrespire
Rep:
?
Thank you so much!
Are you in year 11 too?
If so I hope your exam goes well
It's okay. I know what you mean, i also thought that (and it probably is the case for some areas). Unfortunately, the exam board had to go and throw something a little more confusing as if we didn't have enough to worry about.
Not long left now though until we finish high school so lets make one last push and make every year of school count towards the amazing results we all want!!
I wish you the best of luck for all your exams and life after school!
Lisa.Williams
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aw, thank you (yes, i'm also in year 11)!
Thank you so much!
Are you in year 11 too?
If so I hope your exam goes well
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (254)
34.14%
No (490)
65.86%

Watched Threads