Aqa media studies mest 3 section a Watch

clarryc
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Can anybody please help me how I go about answering/ what to include in Section A questions? My teacher said you don't answer them in the same way as you did in AS (MEST1). I'm guessing (possibly) that it's the wider context that you need to bring into the question? I'm worried about Section A bringing down my mark
Amber Stonesy99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by clarryc)
Can anybody please help me how I go about answering/ what to include in Section A questions? My teacher said you don't answer them in the same way as you did in AS (MEST1). I'm guessing (possibly) that it's the wider context that you need to bring into the question? I'm worried about Section A bringing down my mark
This is the part I'm worried about too!

For question one, you only look at the media concepts, so mise-en-scene, lighting, sound, etc. (You can bring a bit of theory in to back up your argument like narrative theory but it'ts not really necessary.)

Question two will be where you bring wider context in. It could be an identities question, but don't bring in your section B case study at all. Analyse the two texts again, looking at their values and ideologies, add in theory and debates.

The final question is on NDM, and you can use your case study. Still reference both products, but you'll be looking at wider context, theory and debates along with your case study more as the final question is more open.

I hope this helps! There are a lot of resources out there, in particular, I find Media Edusites helpful because they have sample questions and responses on there.
GKP123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey!

This was really helpful!!

But what kind of theories could you link into question B, could this be like:

- Hypodermic Syringe
- Uses and gratifications
etc

Or is it theories such as Media gods, Keen or Gilmore?

This is super last minute, but thanks
clarryc
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Cultivation theory, identification theory, constructionist view I reckon
(Original post by GKP123)
Hey!

This was really helpful!!

But what kind of theories could you link into question B, could this be like:

- Hypodermic Syringe
- Uses and gratifications
etc

Or is it theories such as Media gods, Keen or Gilmore?

This is super last minute, but thanks
GKP123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ok thats ok, so it doesn't really matter, as long as it applies to the unseen text?

Thank you, I literally hate section A sooo much!!
ceryst123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
HiyaI know it's a bit late as it's tomorrow but better late than never, hope it helps a bit!So for question one in section A, it's all about the texts they show us so, a magazine cover, film trailer etc, there's not a lot you can do to prepare for that as we don't know what's coming up.Write at least three quarters to a side and a half for Q2 and Q3.Essential to use a synoptic approach and use knowledge from Section B and coursework, if relevant.Q2 is linked to Identities and the Media.Q3 is linked to the Impact of New Media Technologies.Good luck!
GKP123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you sooooooo much!!! This helps loads!!!! Good luck to you tomorrow!!

You are a life saver!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (33)
11.07%
I used to but I don't now (10)
3.36%
No, but I want to start (111)
37.25%
No, I am unable to (64)
21.48%
No, I chose not to (80)
26.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise