PLY_45
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I only have 4 GCSE/Equivalents with only one of them being an actual GCSE... GCSE Maths (C), Functional Skills English (Pass), BTEC Level Two Public Services (Merit) and BTEC Level Two Sport Extended Diploma (Distinction/Distinction).

I am soon to finish my first year of BTEC Level Three Sport Extended Diploma and I am targeted; D*D*D* at the end of the course as I've had a change with my mind set and work ethic. With next year coming fast, it will be time to submit my UCAS application although I am extremely anxious with it...

I aspire to study Sport Science (BSc) although for a lot of the requirements, even though my UCAS points will top a lot of the requirements for that area, my "GCSE's" hinder my chances majorly, or so I think... Honestly, is it a waste of time submitting an application and if not, what universities based on rankings should I be applying for?

Thank you in advance.
pereira325
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think you have a good chance! D*D*D* is really impressive to get anyway so I am sure there will be unis offering you. Which? idk sorry
PLY_45
Rep:
?
Thank you, I appreciate that and no worries.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PLY_45)
I only have 4 GCSE/Equivalents with only one of them being an actual GCSE... GCSE Maths (C), Functional Skills English (Pass), BTEC Level Two Public Services (Merit) and BTEC Level Two Sport Extended Diploma (Distinction/Distinction).

I am soon to finish my first year of BTEC Level Three Sport Extended Diploma and I am targeted; D*D*D* at the end of the course as I've had a change with my mind set and work ethic. With next year coming fast, it will be time to submit my UCAS application although I am extremely anxious with it...

I aspire to study Sport Science (BSc) although for a lot of the requirements, even though my UCAS points will top a lot of the requirements for that area, my "GCSE's" hinder my chances majorly, or so I think... Honestly, is it a waste of time submitting an application and if not, what universities based on rankings should I be applying for?

Thank you in advance.
Check with individual unis before applying regarding your GCSE issue. Some might see it as a problem, others not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
PLY_45
Rep:
?
Thanks for the advise and I will do.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PLY_45)

Thank you in advance.
Many unis won't accept equivalents any more and insist on English and Maths GCSEs at grade C or over - even from mature students. You may find the grade requirement higher if there's a particular focus on maths in the course content. Surprised your college hasn't picked up on this if uni is your goal.

I would say that a good first step would be to contact the Admissions offices of a few unis you like the look of. Tell them what course you're considering, explain your English qualification and ask whether they'll accept it.
PLY_45
Rep:
?
The college has although they still think it's at least worth trying for... I will contact universities though, thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (108)
59.67%
No (38)
20.99%
Not sure (35)
19.34%

Watched Threads