Turn on thread page Beta

Should I put on my CV... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know it sounds all high and mighty but is their REALLY huge prestige associated with applying to Oxbridge?

You tell me- does it make it to the CV?

[A quote from my CV (so far)]: "...and in addition also narrowly missed a place at the UK's leading university partnership; Oxbridge..."

I don't know if it sounds too 'boastful' if you know what I mean.

Kelly

ReputationRep:
    lol, are you bloody joking? That sounds absolutely pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I don't see what that'll prove... other than that you wern't good enough for Oxbridge :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'd have to agree with narb here, no matter how narrowly you missed it an employer is just going to find that a bit desperate...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellyLP4)
    [A quote from my CV (so far)]: "...and in addition also narrowly missed a place at the UK's leading university partnership; Oxbridge..."
    Please tell me you're taking the piss. (a) Saying you missed a place is a bad thing you'd want to omit, (b) What the hell is "leading university partnership; Oxbridge?!" all about, and (c) for a CV cut all the waffly crap, just list your grades, work experience, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I know it sounds all high and mighty but is their REALLY huge prestige associated with applying to Oxbridge?

Kelly
    god. NO.
    if youre desperate to bring it up, slip it into an interview.

ReputationRep:
    ...associated with applying to Oxbridge?
    Any idiot can apply!

ReputationRep:
    I dunno guys, I know some people who'd eat it up lol. People who don't know the system WHATSOEVER. My grandma perhaps. Or my neighbour. But then they won't be employing anybody anytime soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I dunno guys, I know some people who'd eat it up lol. People who don't know the system WHATSOEVER. My grandma perhaps. Or my neighbour. But then they won't be employing anybody anytime soon.
    Add the Inland Revenue and Americans to that list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Add the Inland Revenue and Americans to that list.
    The IR? ^_'

ReputationRep:
    I also "narrowly" missed an offer of from oxbridge. When i say narrowly, i mean that at least i had A levels. They weren't relevant and they weren't any good, but they were A levels.

ReputationRep:
    don't put it..sounds desperate...when i got a temp job in the holidays in retail i neglected the fact i had A levels and only put some GCSE's down...i had been rejected a couple of times for being too qualified...

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea how narrowly I missed getting an offer, I wasn't keen on going there anyway.
    Also my interviewer looked like an emporer penguin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    The IR? ^_'
    My mate (tagzt on UKL) went for an interview at IR and they just couldn't get over the fact he was at Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    My mate (tagzt on UKL) went for an interview at IR and they just couldn't get over the fact he was at Oxford.
    That's brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    Put it down. It'll make you look informed, clever, witty, and humble.

And also leave another job open for me.

ReputationRep:

Kelly
    It sounds too boastful. End of.

PS, Don't write an essay for your CV. Oh, and 'their' should have been 'there' - from a non-Oxbridge applicant

ReputationRep:

Kelly
    Your inability to use the semicolon also wouldn't impress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amex)
    Your inability to use the semicolon also wouldn't impress.
    That looks to me like Word's pathetic grammer check.

back to the origional post.

Why would you want to put your failures on a CV?

ReputationRep:

Kelly
    DON`T DO IT!!

By inserting a remark like that you'll only get into serious hot water.. it would seem that what you ACTUALLY did was a mere unmotivated second choice ; you`re choice for them as employers might be a mere unmotivated ceconday choice as well couldn`t it?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.