The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by iSpySamer
I'm not doing AS. Also Bristol requires A* AA whereas the others (oxbridge, imperial) require A*A*A. Does this mean Bristol is not as good, for engineering?

At this level it's really more a reflection of supply and demand. Bristol is very good for engineering. As are Oxbridge and Imperial, but those 3 have the bigger "names" and therefore attract more "A*" applicants.

To be clear, university "prestige" is not important if you want to be an engineer.

Also, you have 5 UCAS choices so it makes perfect sense to apply to a range of universities. Bristol is a very common "insurance" choice for Oxbridge/Imperial applicants, as well as a solid Firm for other applicants.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
At this level it's really more a reflection of supply and demand. Bristol is very good for engineering. As are Oxbridge and Imperial, but those 3 have the bigger "names" and therefore attract more "A*" applicants.

To be clear, university "prestige" is not important if you want to be an engineer.

Also, you have 5 UCAS choices so it makes perfect sense to apply to a range of universities. Bristol is a very common "insurance" choice for Oxbridge/Imperial applicants, as well as a solid Firm for other applicants.

100% agree. You can apply for Cambridge Imperial Bath Bristol and Manchester. Bristol and Bath don't require interviews so if you do well in AS you'll 1005 get an offer. Manchester ask for an interview but its not the same as imperial/cambridge ones. They give easy questions and just wan't to see your motivations, whereas Imperial Cambridge ask tricky questions. I would aply for the ones i said above. Worst case scenario you get 3 offers. Bristol first offer of A*AA and Manchester insurance i think give AAA-AAB
Reply 22
Original post by Konanabanana
100% agree. You can apply for Cambridge Imperial Bath Bristol and Manchester. Bristol and Bath don't require interviews so if you do well in AS you'll 1005 get an offer. Manchester ask for an interview but its not the same as imperial/cambridge ones. They give easy questions and just wan't to see your motivations, whereas Imperial Cambridge ask tricky questions. I would aply for the ones i said above. Worst case scenario you get 3 offers. Bristol first offer of A*AA and Manchester insurance i think give AAA-AAB

Yup, and actually only the Cambridge (or Oxford) interview is proper "tricky". Imperial has a 90%+ offer rate if you are invited to interview for MechEng. vs approx 25% for Cambridge.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/interview_statistics_for_mechani
Original post by Doonesbury
Yup, and actually only the Cambridge (or Oxford) interview is proper "tricky". Imperial has a 90%+ offer rate if you are invited to interview for MechEng. vs approx 25% for Cambridge.

Yeah the interview at Imperial has a maths test which is basically really easy Suvat and Maths. The fact your gonna do further maths the test should be really easy. my friend found it really easy. The questions in his interview where about importance of composition and materials in a plane. E.g Explain why different materials are used in different places. Also a visual question like what is the fastest route from A-B in a squared room and give your answers. They are not very tricky but harder than others. If you do further maths the maths test should help overcome any downs you may have in the speaking part.
Reply 24
Original post by Konanabanana
Yeah the interview at Imperial has a maths test which is basically really easy Suvat and Maths. The fact your gonna do further maths the test should be really easy. my friend found it really easy. The questions in his interview where about importance of composition and materials in a plane. E.g Explain why different materials are used in different places. Also a visual question like what is the fastest route from A-B in a squared room and give your answers. They are not very tricky but harder than others. If you do further maths the maths test should help overcome any downs you may have in the speaking part.

So you are saying that I am more likely to be given an offer from imperial than cambridge after an interview? Also, how much do GCSEs matter?
So you are saying that I am more likely to be given an offer from imperial than cambridge after an interview? Also, how much do GCSEs matter?

Imperial is easier to get into but very very good. As long as you have A's in the core subjects. and a total of like 5A's overall. They wont matter that much. Just aim for majority A's Especially in core subjects.
Reply 26

If you get an interview for Imperial you are very likely to get an offer.

For Cambridge the interview is just one part of their holistic admissions process. They interview approx 80% of applicants, whereas Imperial only interviews about 20%.

The overall offer rate for Imperial is 19%
http://university.which.co.uk/imperial-college-london-i50/mechanical-engineering-4-years-9000-h301-38483

And Cambridge is 18% (i.e. basically the same)
http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-cambridge-c05/engineering-mechanical-engineering-4-years-9000-h100

GCSEs don't much matter for Cambridge. I don't know about Imperial.

Most people at this level apply to both. Note you can't also apply to Oxford (which has similar offer rates), you have to choose between Cambridge and Oxford.
lots of universities let you change disciplines in first year general courses arent completely necessary
Reply 28
Original post by confusedninja
lots of universities let you change disciplines in first year general courses arent completely necessary

Hi, this is a 2017 thread, and now closed :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest