The Student Room Group

June 7th: How healthy is your diet?

How healthy is your diet?

This week’s Surgery is all about our diet, and how what we eat can change the way we feel. From serious food allergies to low-carb dinners, Katie and Dr Radha discuss how much changing your diet can help health conditions like diabetes, IBS and more.

Do you follow a restricted diet?

Do you have a complicated relationship with food?

Do you struggle to eat properly?

Share your experiences below, and tune in to The Surgery on Radio 1 this Wednesday 7th June at 9pm for help and advice on getting a balanced diet.

Please note: you can post on this forum anonymously.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I eat everything.. so yeah, not healthy...
Reply 2
I would say I follow a healthy lifestyle, no dairy meat or eggs and many fruits and veggies. However I am trying to eat more healthy and cut down on sugar
Original post by E102
I would say I follow a healthy lifestyle, no dairy meat or eggs and many fruits and veggies. However I am trying to eat more healthy and cut down on sugar

What do you use as a protein source?
aiming to start counting macros and eating a high protein low carb low fat diet but im just waiting for exams to be over so I can properly plan out my meals etc.

but at the moment its all over the place
Reply 5
Original post by clumsyorange
What do you use as a protein source?

https://youtu.be/dZU6DnHREsI

This should explain it:smile:
Original post by BBC Radio 1
How healthy is your diet?

This week’s Surgery is all about our diet, and how what we eat can change the way we feel. From serious food allergies to low-carb dinners, Katie and Dr Radha discuss how much changing your diet can help health conditions like diabetes, IBS and more.

Do you follow a restricted diet?

Do you have a complicated relationship with food?

Do you struggle to eat properly?

Share your experiences below, and tune in to The Surgery on Radio 1 this Wednesday 7th June at 9pm for help and advice on getting a balanced diet.

Please note: you can post on this forum anonymously.

I eat pretty bad. I have all good meals 3 times a day with vegetables and a balanced food plate, but I stress eat a lot. My go to in a bad situation is chocolate and when I'm worn out I will always have a fizzy drink, which is not the best.
Honestly I'm passed caring how healthy it is...as long as I eat.
Original post by E102
https://youtu.be/dZU6DnHREsI

This should explain it:smile:

I didn't mean generally, I meant you specifically :colondollar: I've been a veggie for a few months and I'm getting sick of Quorn, so I was curious. Sorry if I offended you
Reply 9
Original post by clumsyorange
I didn't mean generally, I meant you specifically :colondollar: I've been a veggie for a few months and I'm getting sick of Quorn, so I was curious. Sorry if I offended you

Oh right lol I'm just so used to people asking me that question, I normally just get protein from tofu, linda McCartney also does sausages/ burgers and pies and things. Soya/ nut yogurts are also good sources of protein and even beans, veggies, wholemeal pasta. I don't really keep track of my protein intake as long as you eat enough you will get enough protein, like the video said
I'm coeliac and vegetarian so don't eat gluten (which includes wheat, barely, spelt, rye and oats), meat or fish. People often wonder how I survive but I honestly don't find it too difficult; I get my protein through tofu, quorn, eggs, milk, nuts and pulses and can very easily substitute in naturally gluten free alternatives (eg. buckwheat, rice, potato etc). Since more and more people have been following 'free from' diets recently, it is far easier to find things now than it was when I was first diagnosed :h:

The only difficult thing is when on holiday in other countries. We just use self catering gites and cook our own meals or just live off omelettes!
(edited 6 years ago)
Less healthy than your decision to keep making these **** threads.
i've been vegan for almost 2 years and before that have been veggie my whole life, i eat lots of fruit and veg and usually very healthy meals although recently i have lost a lot of weight as i haven't been eating 3 meals a day, often just dinner and snacking, mainly from stress and being upset i think. i'm not meaning to lose weight, and during study leave i've been making an effort to eat three meals a day. i think it's just easier to lose weight on a vegan diet and easier to find excuses not to eat when it's not always easy to find food that fits your diet.
I don't seem to gain any weight possibly due to how little I snack in between meals and how active I am throughout the day.

Breakfast is either: 4 eggs omelette with various veg and an avocado throw in, 4-5 slices of bread, drink water with it, and eat plenty of fruit afterwards
OR
a vegan bean burger/sandwich with salad, a whole avocado, a bowl of cereal, and a couple of bananas and other fruit, drink water with it.

I do eat meat/fish for dinner, my breakfast may seem like a lot, however I seem to struggle with getting a good lunch.
Fairly healthy. I mostly eat stuff like rice, pasta, meat, fruit and veg, with a bit of junk thrown in here and there when I fancy it. I try and stick to good, wholesome foods, but if I fancy a cookie or a sausage roll of whatever then I'll just have it, and I always treat myself to a takeaway on the weekends. This approach goes whether I'm cutting or bulking, just counting calories and making sure I get enough protein.
I'm probably going to end up clinically obese by the time I'm 20 :smile:
Original post by sfaraj
aiming to start counting macros and eating a high protein low carb low fat diet

I would say my diet is reasonably healthy now. It was quite bad before when I would only eat once a day, but I'm getting better in terms of eating properly.

My diet is now all over the place tbh, some days (like a few days ago) I can eat 4 iced doughnuts in one go, half a tub of ice cream (idek how I'm still slim af) and sometimes I can eat salads and what not.

Original post by Anonymous
Less healthy than your decision to keep making these **** threads.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
Don't eat dairy or eggs, but other than that I eat pretty much anything.

I have been tracking my macros the last few days so I know I'm eating enough and can make sure I'm not eating too much fat.
Pretty healthy, since I am fasting.

Quick Reply

Latest