A-levels

ReputationRep:
    a's are diverse.................

ReputationRep:
    alevel

(Original post by imasillynarb)
    A-levels
    comon man back ur answers up...im talking about end result

ive heard btec are more wanted by uni interviewers and employers as it shows that the students have a much more workload and have the skill to work independantly. andd other stuff

ReputationRep:
    BTEC is more vocational.

ReputationRep:
    A-level is more diverse so lets you go to uni and study anything, B-Tec restricts you loads, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usman664)
    ive heard btec are more wanted by uni interviewers and employers as it shows that the students have a much more workload and have the skill to work independantly. andd other stuff
    Except that the majority of uni interviewers and employers probably won't know what a BTEC is.

ReputationRep:
    I think anything introduced to be a substitute for Alevels is regarded as highly suspicious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    So unless its changed recently, BTEC ONDs are mickey mouse. Probably in a similar way that a HND is mickey mouse in comparison to a degree.
    Walt Disney must be rolling in his grave...

ReputationRep:
    I've got both A Levels and BTEC but they were taken way back in the 1980's.

A Levels were origionally intended and to a great deal still are a university entrance exam.

BTEC was intended to train you for something, in my case cardiology / physiological measurement.

Even though I already had A Levels I had to do the BTEC because I was working in Cardiology and that was the minimum requirement. (now it's a degree in Cardiology)

What do you want to do after your A Levels / BTEC? Realistically what grades can you get at A Level?

If you can get AAA at A Level and want to go to Oxbridge then don't even consider BTEC.

If you are a more practical person, or you have definite career plans then BTEC might be better. Or if you are intending to do art at uni BTEC is probably a better route because you spend 2 years studying different art techniques rather than just a couple of hours a week as you would with A Level.

One thing to consider, on the A Level route you get AS Levels after one year, with BTEC you don't get any certificate until the end of the course.

BTEC can also prepare you for a specific job, so if you are intending entering employment at 18 rather than university it may be a better opption.

ReputationRep:
    A-Levels because they are more comman thus an employer will know all about them (and hold them in high esteem). An emplyer may not know what a Btec is and therefore may favor A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    The college where I took my A levels offered BTEC maths to those studying A level physics (which needs a fair degree of maths knowledge) but couldn't hack A level maths. So unless its changed recently, BTEC ONDs are mickey mouse. Probably in a similar way that a HND is mickey mouse in comparison to a degree.
    I took Electronics, Physics, Computing and General Studies - everyone told me that the maths for Electronics and Physics was extremly hard and I should have taken Maths but I've always found the maths very straightforward and never struggled with it at all. Maybe I'm just good at maths (my deputy head at high school seemed to think I was a mathematical genius but after having him we changed teachers to a crapy one who didn't teach us anything and I got 2cs - the second being in Stats :mad: ).

ReputationRep:
    What do you want to do a btec/a-levels in?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.