Sociology a2 aqa urgent!!!! Watch

xnajia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey guys. So basically in paper 1 is education, theories and mic.

The 10 Marker is likely to be a research methods questions. My sixth form has not made this clear ever and never have us practise.

A question like

Outline and explain two ethical issues of unstructured interviews

Looks easy by I have no idea what to say

Or outline and explain 2 reasons why not all positivists may use secondary data

I usually get B's and A's but I know METHODS will let me down. Any tips for mic? Every topic I studied in detail except that.
Ellasingleton
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey just work on structure if you got that it be much easier, and acuatlly no one really knows what the theory and method question will be on it may not be about a method but like two reasons why socilogy cannot be a science
xnajia
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ellasingleton)
Hey just work on structure if you got that it be much easier, and acuatlly no one really knows what the theory and method question will be on it may not be about a method but like two reasons why socilogy cannot be a science

What structure do you know of? Thanks
rahcel101
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In our sixth form we follow an acronym called
wolfieblob
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by xnajia)
Hey guys. So basically in paper 1 is education, theories and mic.

The 10 Marker is likely to be a research methods questions. My sixth form has not made this clear ever and never have us practise.

A question like

Outline and explain two ethical issues of unstructured interviews

Looks easy by I have no idea what to say

Or outline and explain 2 reasons why not all positivists may use secondary data

I usually get B's and A's but I know METHODS will let me down. Any tips for mic? Every topic I studied in detail except that.
For the first one, that is a deceiving question. You could say that in certain research areas such as antischool subculture you could obtain guilty knowledge about what a pttp has dones which may be incriminating to include.

Or because you lack structure you could stray into a distressing tangent when researching student variables such as how their race/sexuality/gender affects their learning as they may be enduring bullying and such.

The second one is practicality and reliability. Just flesh it out with examples of that, for example Positivists love reliable data as it reflects the scientific method they strive for, secondary data is unreliable as it is created by someone else so you don't know whether their method of data colletion is replicable. For practical reasons you can simply say that secondary data may not cover the area you wish to research if you're researching something that hasn't been researched as much, lets say you want a set of data about the experiences of LGBT people in Sierra Leone but it hasn't been researched so you lack the secondary data you need. Therefore some Positivists may prefer primary research data as you can collect it yourself so it suits your research aims.
Ellasingleton
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
for intro
W what methods define it
W who would use it
W why
W who wouldn't use it
E examples

Then
P practical (1 para)
E ethical ( 1para)
R reliable
V valid
E evidence/ examples
R representatives
T theoretical (1 para)
xnajia
Rep:
?
(Original post by wolfieblob)
For the first one, that is a deceiving question. You could say that in certain research areas such as antischool subculture you could obtain guilty knowledge about what a pttp has dones which may be incriminating to include.

Or because you lack structure you could stray into a distressing tangent when researching student variables such as how their race/sexuality/gender affects their learning as they may be enduring bullying and such.

The second one is practicality and reliability. Just flesh it out with examples of that, for example Positivists love reliable data as it reflects the scientific method they strive for, secondary data is unreliable as it is created by someone else so you don't know whether their method of data colletion is replicable. For practical reasons you can simply say that secondary data may not cover the area you wish to research if you're researching something that hasn't been researched as much, lets say you want a set of data about the experiences of LGBT people in Sierra Leone but it hasn't been researched so you lack the secondary data you need. Therefore some Positivists may prefer primary research data as you can collect it yourself so it suits your research aims.
Thank youuu
goal101
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
using unstructured interviews: unethical - due to the fact there are no pre-set questions personal QS which could be asked therefore make the interviewee feel uncomfortable - the fact that it can deviate from the actual topic that has been asked.

( i though about that logically but it depends of the context of the question.

btw - does anyone have notes on families & households so I can print it off?? its an emergency
xnajia
Rep:
?
(Original post by goal101)
using unstructured interviews: unethical - due to the fact there are no pre-set questions personal QS which could be asked therefore make the interviewee feel uncomfortable - the fact that it can deviate from the actual topic that has been asked.

( i though about that logically but it depends of the context of the question.

btw - does anyone have notes on families & households so I can print it off?? its an emergency
Any specific FH topic? I might have it scanned to email, will have to check
goal101
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by xnajia)
Any specific FH topic? I might have it scanned to email, will have to check
Literally just the entire topic
xnajia
Rep:
?
(Original post by goal101)
Literally just the entire topic
Message me your email and I'll try to send it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (35)
11.15%
I used to but I don't now (11)
3.5%
No, but I want to start (113)
35.99%
No, I am unable to (69)
21.97%
No, I chose not to (86)
27.39%