iSpySamer
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
In the OCR computing exam should you say float or real?
I'mBadAtThis
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't think it really matters which one you use in the exam. Real numbers, I think, are just another term for floating point numbers (decimals); a float is a single-precision floating point number (so a subset of real numbers).
iSpySamer
Rep:
?
(Original post by I'mBadAtThis)
I don't think it really matters which one you use in the exam. Real numbers, I think, are just another term for floating point numbers (decimals); a float is a single-precision floating point number (so a subset of real numbers).
ok thanks, because i read mark schemes that have both, and mark schemes that don't accept both
Teutonics
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Same thing.
I'mBadAtThis
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by iSpySamer)
ok thanks, because i read mark schemes that have both, and mark schemes that don't accept both
Really? I've gone through all the past papers multiple times; I thought it always said equivalent names were allowed, or explicitly said something like "Real/float/single/double" in the mark scheme. Maybe I missed it out or something. Still, though, I'd just say write real numbers rather than floats in the exam, just to be safe.
iSpySamer
Rep:
?
(Original post by I'mBadAtThis)
Really? I've gone through all the past papers multiple times; I thought it always said equivalent names were allowed, or explicitly said something like "Real/float/single/double" in the mark scheme. Maybe I missed it out or something. Still, though, I'd just say write real numbers rather than floats in the exam, just to be safe.
cool thanks
rickH123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
ocr requires u to know float more than real so idk it depends on exam board
iSpySamer
Rep:
?
(Original post by rickH123)
ocr requires u to know float more than real so idk it depends on exam board
oh i do OCR so I should say float
rickH123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by iSpySamer)
oh i do OCR so I should say float
it's better to know float for OCR because in many questions they've asked what kind of variable is this, or what is the meaning of a float etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (147)
14.54%
I'm not sure (43)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.97%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.66%

Watched Threads