Carman3
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I don't understand when to use the maclaurins/Taylor series and when to use the series with the differentials when x=0. They don't always say which series to use and sometimes just say in the question use series to find the expansion for something. Can someone tell me a general rule of when to use maclaurins/Taylor and when to use the differential series. I know you use the latter when f (x) doesn't 'expand' but it's not always obvious e.g. e^tanx I would've done e^sinx/cosx but the mark scheme uses the differential expansion with x=0
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Carman3)
I don't understand when to use the maclaurins/Taylor series and when to use the series with the differentials when x=0. They don't always say which series to use and sometimes just say in the question use series to find the expansion for something. Can someone tell me a general rule of when to use maclaurins/Taylor and when to use the differential series. I know you use the latter when f (x) doesn't 'expand' but it's not always obvious e.g. e^tanx I would've done e^sinx/cosx but the mark scheme uses the differential expansion with x=0
Maclaurin's expansion is the same expansion as Taylor's except it's not as general and it is always about x=0. They're essentially the same thing.
Carman3
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
Maclaurin's expansion is the same expansion as Taylor's except it's not as general and it is always about x=0. They're essentially the same thing.
I guess I should ve worded it better, I get the difference between maclaurins and Taylor but the last series in the book which talks about diffetentials when x =0 which is from page 118 onwards, I don't know when to use that and when to use maclaurins. So for a question like expand e^tanx I wouldve split it into e^sinx/cosx and used maclaurins on that but the mark scheme shows them using the last series from the book on that question
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Carman3)
but the last series in the book which talks about diffetentials when x =0 which is from page 118 onwards,
That IS Maclaurin's expansion though...
Carman3
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
That IS Maclaurin's expansion though...
Oh I see. Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?