Why is hydrated copper (II) ion a complex but hydrated sodium ion isn't?

Watch
CaptainJackFail
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Question : The hydrated copper(II) ion is classed as a complex but the hydrated sodium ion is not.
By considering the interaction between the water molecules and the sodium ion, explain why the hydrated sodium ion is not considered to be a complex.

Mark Scheme:
Oxygen atoms in water molecules have δ− charge. (1)
Which form electrostatic / ion-dipole attractions with sodium (ion). (1)
ALLOW for one mark copper(II) ions form dative covalent bonds but sodium ions do not (both needed)

I don't know about you, but I'm also certain that copper is also positively charged, just like sodium! so wouldn't oxygen and copper also form dipole-dipole attraction? This is confusing.
Gerry-Atricks
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sodium is not a transition metal
JustARandomer123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Copper is a transition metal so it forms dative bonds with water ligands which in turn forms a complex ion. Sodium isn't a transition metal, so it's not able to do this
Dynamic_Vicz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think it has something to do with the valent electrons of the two metals. The valent electrons of the transitional metals are in the d sub shell whereas the valent electrons of the alkali metals are in the s sub shell.

When the metals are in their ionic state they lose electrons differently depending on the energy levels.

It looks like the answer may simply just be that sodium isn't a transitional metal.
CaptainJackFail
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
Sodium is not a transition metal
(Original post by JustARandomer123)
Copper is a transition metal so it forms dative bonds with water ligands which in turn forms a complex ion. Sodium isn't a transition metal, so it's not able to do this
I should probably type out the question as well, apologies:

Question : The hydrated copper(II) ion is classed as a complex but the hydrated sodium ion is not.
By considering the interaction between the water molecules and the sodium ion, explain why the hydrated sodium ion is not considered to be a complex.

Mark Scheme:
Oxygen atoms in water molecules have δ− charge. (1)
Which form electrostatic / ion-dipole attractions with sodium (ion). (1)
ALLOW for one mark copper(II) ions form dative covalent bonds but sodium ions do not (both needed)

Your guys' answers are correct but would only gain one mark out of two. wouldn't the interaction between water molecules and the COPPER ion also be dipole - dipole? since Cu is +ve and O is -ve?
Gerry-Atricks
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CaptainJackFail)
I should probably type out the question as well, apologies:

The hydrated copper(II) ion is classed as a complex but the hydrated sodium ion is not.

Your guys' answers are correct but would only gain one mark out of two. wouldn't the interaction between water molecules and the COPPER ion also be dipole - dipole? since Cu is +ve and O is -ve?
bonding between sodium and water is partially ionic( due to dipoles) but between copper and water is dative covalent as the lone pair on oxygen is donated to central metal
JustARandomer123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Copper ions don't form dipole interactions with water; in place of that, dative bonds are formed. It works differently with transition metals
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (199)
43.64%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (51)
11.18%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.68%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (97)
21.27%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (47)
10.31%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.92%

Watched Threads