Can AQA ask a thematic question in the upcoming History Alevel paper on the Tudors? Watch

chloemills1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
My history a level breadth study paper is coming up next Friday and I'm well into my revision. When we've been doing our revision at school, our History teacher has been trying to prepare us for if the exam board ask us a "thematic questions" based over the entire range of monarch throughout the period (eg. "The power of the monarch's over the tudor period was more theoretical than tangiable, very little actually changed- How far do you agree?" to help us prepare for the essay questions which might come up in Section B.

As you can imagine these questions are a nightmare as there is so much to discuss and really difficult to actually answer the question. So I looked at the scheme of assessment on the AQA website and it says:

Section B will contain three essay questions of which students are required to answer two. Each essay tests AO1 and is designed to test historical understanding over a broad chronology of approximately 20 years.....

In order to ensure that students demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the breadth component over the whole period, the balance of questions on the breadth paper will be as follows:
  • Where the compulsory question is based on Part 1 of the content, Section B will contain one essay on Part 1 of the content, or one which overlaps Parts 1 and 2 and two questions on Part 2 of the content.
  • Where the compulsory question is based on Part 2 of the content, Section B will contain one essay on Part 2 of the content, or one which overlaps Parts 1 and 2 and two questions on Part 1 of the content.
  • Where the compulsory question overlaps Parts 1 and 2 of the content, Section B will contain one question on Part 1 of the content, one question on Part 2 of the content and one from either Part 1 or 2 depending on the overall balance of the paper.

From reading this I can't see that they would ask us any questions ranging over more than one monarch unless it was Mary and Edward as they cover 20 years?

I don't want to be investing my time in themed questions if they're not going to be able to come up and I was wondering if anyone else has been trying to answer questions covering the entire period? Should I just be focusing on individual monarchs?

Any feedback or advise on how anyone else is revising would be much appreciate x
JamieHarris1998
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by chloemills1)
My history a level breadth study paper is coming up next Friday and I'm well into my revision. When we've been doing our revision at school, our History teacher has been trying to prepare us for if the exam board ask us a "thematic questions" based over the entire range of monarch throughout the period (eg. "The power of the monarch's over the tudor period was more theoretical than tangiable, very little actually changed- How far do you agree?" to help us prepare for the essay questions which might come up in Section B.

As you can imagine these questions are a nightmare as there is so much to discuss and really difficult to actually answer the question. So I looked at the scheme of assessment on the AQA website and it says:

Section B will contain three essay questions of which students are required to answer two. Each essay tests AO1 and is designed to test historical understanding over a broad chronology of approximately 20 years.....

In order to ensure that students demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the breadth component over the whole period, the balance of questions on the breadth paper will be as follows:
  • Where the compulsory question is based on Part 1 of the content, Section B will contain one essay on Part 1 of the content, or one which overlaps Parts 1 and 2 and two questions on Part 2 of the content.
  • Where the compulsory question is based on Part 2 of the content, Section B will contain one essay on Part 2 of the content, or one which overlaps Parts 1 and 2 and two questions on Part 1 of the content.
  • Where the compulsory question overlaps Parts 1 and 2 of the content, Section B will contain one question on Part 1 of the content, one question on Part 2 of the content and one from either Part 1 or 2 depending on the overall balance of the paper.

From reading this I can't see that they would ask us any questions ranging over more than one monarch unless it was Mary and Edward as they cover 20 years?

I don't want to be investing my time in themed questions if they're not going to be able to come up and I was wondering if anyone else has been trying to answer questions covering the entire period? Should I just be focusing on individual monarchs?

Any feedback or advise on how anyone else is revising would be much appreciate x

In terms of asking questions about different monarchs its certainly possible in terms of themes.

For example, a highly likely question that could come up is religion, which could be from Henry VIII's changes to even reaching into Elizabethan time.

Or the common theme of "A mid tudor crisis" Is likely to be asking between the range of 1540-1558 as in the 40's it really started the downfall

Foreign policy again could be asked in a cross monarch way, maybe governments efficiency too

In reality it is likely that they will only really ask about different monarchs in the same question with either:
Henry VII and VIII
Henry VIII, Edward and Mary
Edward and Mary
Edward, Mary and Elizabeth
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

- Have you considered distance learning for any of your qualifications?

Yes! I'm on a distance learning course right now (6)
9.23%
Yes, I've thought about it but haven't signed up yet (5)
7.69%
No, but maybe I will look into it (15)
23.08%
No and I wouldn't consider it (39)
60%

Watched Threads