The Student Room Group

History gcse edexcel

Predictions for exams?? Cold war | america | britain. 201777777777777
I don't have any predictions, but I did the (Cold War and Britain, but I actually don't remember Britain) exam last year, so have a few tips:
Last year they asked a really strange essay question on Cold War flashpoints. If they ask a weird question, just take a moment to think about it
Examiners get really annoyed when you don't stay in the given date range - make a timeline of events so you know what happened when
Berlin Airlift has nothing to do with the Berlin Wall, it happened about fifteen years earlier
Link your knowledge to the question. If you know a bunch of detail, great, but make sure it relates to the question. If it has a tenuous link, explain your link. The examiner wants to give you marks
As far as I remember, only the essay question at the end awards SPAG marks, so that's when this is most important
Make sure you know all your content. According to examiner reports, the biggest trouble spots are the chronology of Soviet leaders, all the different pacts and meetings of the last couple decades of the period, and remembering the difference between Czechoslovakia and Hungary when you're looking at stuff that happened to them

Sorry that got super long! It wasn't even what you were looking for...
If I were to hazard a guess, you'll get something on the early period conferences, maybe some Cuban Missile Crisis, and the Hungarian Revolt (was it called that)? Other topics that could easily come up are the space race and a couple of detente things.
Original post by StevetheIcecube
I don't have any predictions, but I did the (Cold War and Britain, but I actually don't remember Britain) exam last year, so have a few tips:
Last year they asked a really strange essay question on Cold War flashpoints. If they ask a weird question, just take a moment to think about it
Examiners get really annoyed when you don't stay in the given date range - make a timeline of events so you know what happened when
Berlin Airlift has nothing to do with the Berlin Wall, it happened about fifteen years earlier
Link your knowledge to the question. If you know a bunch of detail, great, but make sure it relates to the question. If it has a tenuous link, explain your link. The examiner wants to give you marks
As far as I remember, only the essay question at the end awards SPAG marks, so that's when this is most important
Make sure you know all your content. According to examiner reports, the biggest trouble spots are the chronology of Soviet leaders, all the different pacts and meetings of the last couple decades of the period, and remembering the difference between Czechoslovakia and Hungary when you're looking at stuff that happened to them

Sorry that got super long! It wasn't even what you were looking for...
If I were to hazard a guess, you'll get something on the early period conferences, maybe some Cuban Missile Crisis, and the Hungarian Revolt (was it called that)? Other topics that could easily come up are the space race and a couple of detente things.

Thank you! I presume that the Berlin Crisis will probably come up
Original post by nurudelrey
Thank you! I presume that the Berlin Crisis will probably come up

Haha, which one is the Berlin Crisis? The Wall stuff was the basis of the big essay question last year, but the Airlift didn't come up at all if I remember.

Quick Reply