FopePrancis
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
What is a budget deficit and a budget surplus, and how does the government use these two factors of the fiscal policy to either deflate or expand the economy?
samss22
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by FopePrancis)
What is a budget deficit and a budget surplus, and how does the government use these two factors of the fiscal policy to either deflate or expand the economy?
Budget deficit is when government spending exceeds government revenue (from taxation). Budget surplus is when government revenue exceeds government spending.

To expand the economy, the government increase spending/decrease taxes (which either increases spending or decreases revenue, which worsens the deficit) to increase AD and increase real GDP.

To contract the economy during periods of Boom, the government decrease spending/increase taxation (which either decreases spending or increases revenue hence a budget surplus/budget deficit improves). This will cause AD to decrease as consumption and govt spending falls leading to deflationary pressure.

It's not a factor of fiscal policy, rather it's a feature or a consequence as a result of the implementation of fiscal policy.
FopePrancis
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by samss22)
Budget deficit is when government spending exceeds government revenue (from taxation). Budget surplus is when government revenue exceeds government spending.

To expand the economy, the government increase spending/decrease taxes (which either increases spending or decreases revenue, which worsens the deficit) to increase AD and increase real GDP.

To contract the economy during periods of Boom, the government decrease spending/increase taxation (which either decreases spending or increases revenue hence a budget surplus/budget deficit improves). This will cause AD to decrease as consumption and govt spending falls leading to deflationary pressure.

It's not a factor of fiscal policy, rather it's a feature or a consequence as a result of the implementation of fiscal policy.
Thank you so much, this helped significantly!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (535)
34.01%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (648)
41.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (318)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (72)
4.58%

Watched Threads