The Student Room Group

A-levels/IB? For top universities in the UK & the US

Hello! :biggrin:
I am struggling to choose between A-levels and IB. I am interested in science-related subjects (like medicine/biosciences/neuroscience) and also psychology. I aim for going to top universities in UK (like Oxbridge) and also the US.

I know that UK universities seem to like the A-levels more, while US universities seem to like the IB more. I'm sure I would get great results in both, though I know IB would be more stressful for me. I personally like the IB more because I am quite well-rounded on the subjects and I love to learn more about all of them.

But I'm thinking whether the IB might be too time consuming that I won't have much time to develop and find my interest and do more ECAs based on it and to also practice on SAT tests? Would A-levels be better then if I aim for top universities in both countries? Or is the IB more recognised and beneficial?

Thanks!
Original post by CalmeChristy
Hello! :biggrin:
I am struggling to choose between A-levels and IB. I am interested in science-related subjects (like medicine/biosciences/neuroscience) and also psychology. I aim for going to top universities in UK (like Oxbridge) and also the US.

I know that UK universities seem to like the A-levels more, while US universities seem to like the IB more. I'm sure I would get great results in both, though I know IB would be more stressful for me. I personally like the IB more because I am quite well-rounded on the subjects and I love to learn more about all of them.

But I'm thinking whether the IB might be too time consuming that I won't have much time to develop and find my interest and do more ECAs based on it and to also practice on SAT tests? Would A-levels be better then if I aim for top universities in both countries? Or is the IB more recognised and beneficial?

Thanks!

UK universities do not like A levels more. There is no preference (in the UK or in the US), A levels and the IB are both equally good.

American universities prefer well rounded students who've studied a range of different subjects, so if it is a choice between the IB and three science-based A levels, then I think the IB would be better. If you don't think you'd have the time and energy to do the IB, prepare for your SATs and do some extracurricular activities at the same time, then stick to A levels. At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter which you do.
Original post by Snufkin
UK universities do not like A levels more. There is no preference (in the UK or in the US), A levels and the IB are both equally good.

American universities prefer well rounded students who've studied a range of different subjects, so if it is a choice between the IB and three science-based A levels, then I think the IB would be better. If you don't think you'd have the time and energy to do the IB, prepare for your SATs and do some extracurricular activities at the same time, then stick to A levels. At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter which you do.

Thanks! But how do you know UK universities do not like A-levels anymore? It seems to me that the offers for A-levels are not as high as the IB. :redface:
Reply 3
Hey guys, basically if I want to go to university outside the country I'm living in then I would need a scholarship as it is very expensive. In which program does a high grade give me a better chance at getting one, IB or A-levels?
Possible IB subject choice: Biology HL, Chemistry HL, Business and management HL
English Literature SL, Math SL, Arabic B SL
Possible A-level subject choice: Biology, Chemistry, Math, Business studies
IGCSE GRADES: Biology: A*
Chemistry: A*
Physics: A*
Math: A*
ICT: A*
Arabic as a first language: A
English as a first language: B

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending