The Student Room Group

Labour supporters/ex labour supporters are you going to vote for Corbyn?

Out of interest what are labour supporters who are on the centre of the spectrum or supporters of new labour, going to do in this election?
Do you think Corbyn winning was better for the party than Owen Smith winning?
Do you think he has united his party after 172 MPs can have him the vote of no confidence?

Scroll to see replies

Thats what the polls suggest.
Reply 2
I'm a Labour member irl and had I joined the party much earlier, I would've backed Owen Smith for leader because under Corbyn he's just really weak and I can't imagine having a stable government under him or for him to lead us into Brexit negotiations.
I'm not voting Labour for Corbyn. I am voting for my incumbent Labour MP again. He is a very good MP, having done a lot of good things for the constituency I live in. He also continuously voted in support of LGBT rights consistently, which is one of the most important issues for me.
Reply 4
Original post by constantine2016
I'm not voting Labour for Corbyn. I am voting for my incumbent Labour MP again. He is a very good MP, having done a lot of good things for the constituency I live in. He also continuously voted in support of LGBT rights consistently, which is one of the most important issues for me.

Ah okay, yes that is definitely an issue to factor it.
Similar position (with my MP who is labour) my area only ever has had a Labour MP.
I think perhaps if any of the other leaders at the first election (perhaps maybe kendall) was head of labour, they might have had a greater chance of winning over of the electorate.
I think Owen Smith idea of a 2nd referendum wasn't popular with quite a few labour voters also.
Reply 5
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
I'm a Labour member irl and had I joined the party much earlier, I would've backed Owen Smith for leader because under Corbyn he's just really weak and I can't imagine having a stable government under him or for him to lead us into Brexit negotiations.

Who did you want in the initial elections?
You would still vote for labour though.
I think labour have got a few new voters from the left, and a lot of the young voters.
I'm not sure about the centre of the party. I think some voters may have gone to lib dem

Who would you rather want negotiating Brexit;

Boris Johnson, David Davis and Liam Fox

OR

Emily Thornberry, Keir Starmer and Barry Gardiner

I know which one I would pick!
Original post by hpcp
Ah okay, yes that is definitely an issue to factor it.
Similar position (with my MP who is labour) my area only ever has had a Labour MP.
I think perhaps if any of the other leaders at the first election (perhaps maybe kendall) was head of labour, they might have had a greater chance of winning over of the electorate.
I think Owen Smith idea of a 2nd referendum wasn't popular with quite a few labour voters also.

If Chuka Umana had not pulled out of the race I think he would have won the leadership of the Labour party. Labour would have had more of a chance in the general election as well if he was the leader.
Reply 8
Original post by hpcp
Who did you want in the initial elections?
You would still vote for labour though.
I think labour have got a few new voters from the left, and a lot of the young voters.
I'm not sure about the centre of the party. I think some voters may have gone to lib dem

I am a centrist and I think what would attract those nearer to the centre is policies that are similar to New Labour. If someone like Sadiq Khan was leading Labour now, I would be happy with that knowing that they'll be able to lead the party and possibly to form a new government as well.
Reply 9
If Chuka Umana had not pulled out of the race I think he would have won the leadership of the Labour party. Labour would have had more of a chance in the general election as well if he was the leader.

I agree - I was quite sad when he dropped out.
Reply 10

Yes exactly. It was all plotted by Murdochs journalists, the daily mail etc etc to harass him until he pulled out. It's ****ing disgusting that they all got away with it.
Reply 11
I am a centrist and I think what would attract those nearer to the centre is policies that are similar to New Labour. If someone like Sadiq Khan was leading Labour now, I would be happy with that knowing that they'll be able to lead the party and possibly to form a new government as well.

Yeah I think it is the worry that a lot of MPs don't want to serve in Corbyn's shadow cabinet too. If perhaps more people were willing, there would be some better people on the shadow cabinet rather than Diana Abbott.
I agree, a lot of new voters though don't like new labour, they hate Blair.
Reply 12
Original post by samss22
Yes exactly. It was all plotted by Murdochs journalists, the daily mail etc etc to harass him until he pulled out. It's ****ing disgusting that they all got away with it.

but would corbyn have won anyways?
the left of the party seem to get the most votes in when registering?
Reply 13
Original post by JMR2017

OR

Honestly I do like David Davis. but I'm not a labour supporter anymore
I voted lib dem last election, I don't know this time
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by hpcp
but would corbyn have won anyways?
the left of the party seem to get the most votes in when registering?

Umunna had a clear victory then. So no, corbyn wouldnt have won.
Reply 15
Original post by JMR2017

OR

BoJo - He was a clown during his time as Mayor of London and I remember it well. Not really reliable. David Davis - He one of the biggest campaigners for Brexit on the Tory side but he'll fight for the so called "hard Brexit" many people don't want. Dr Liam Fox, I'm not sure tbh. On the Labour side, I would have Sir Keir Starmer leading the Brexit negotiations with Matthew Pennycook and I would probably choose Chuka Ummuna or Yvette Cooper - we need strong voices for Brexit negotiations, not weak voices and a ****ty Brexit deal.
Original post by samss22

I know. It is disgusting that he is able to get away with all the corruption he has been involved in. This just shows that if you have money the law won't touch you.

Hmm.... Corbyn seems to be polling about 10 points higher than the last General Election, and 4 points higher than last Labour victory in 2005.
Reply 18
I know. It is disgusting that he is able to get away with all the corruption he has been involved in. This just shows that if you have money the law won't touch you.

Disgusting dirty pervert, he's a sick parasite to this country.
Reply 19
Original post by hpcp
Yeah I think it is the worry that a lot of MPs don't want to serve in Corbyn's shadow cabinet too. If perhaps more people were willing, there would be some better people on the shadow cabinet rather than Diana Abbott.
I agree, a lot of new voters though don't like new labour, they hate Blair.

I like the policies of New Labour apart from a few stuff but the problem I guess is Blair's reputation after the Iraq War, that really lowered public support and how Labour performed on the economy when Brown was PM. If I had it my way I would want Yvette Cooper to be given her old role back as Shadow Home Secretary, she's the best person for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending