Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Every1 Ive talked to who's done As Level / A level maths tell me that it's really difficult! True? Can any1 give me sum advice on whether I should do it or not... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    nopes.....AS Maths is not difficult whatsoever......u will be alright of u have a great interest in Mathematics

ReputationRep:
    if you like maths, and are prepared to do the work and make sure you do all the homework set etc.. then it isnt too bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlemisshala)
    Every1 Ive talked to who's done As Level / A level maths tell me that it's really difficult! True? Can any1 give me sum advice on whether I should do it or not... :confused:
    Do it.

ReputationRep:
    ok thank u people...:P I'm probz gonna end up doing it What is mechanics ? I'm gonna do pure maths...

ReputationRep:
    when i first started AS course, i found mechanics the hardest, i think maybe its the most difficult to grasp, but once you get it it becomes the easiest. its basically to do with vectors, momentum, impulse, speed of objects sliding down ramps etc.

ReputationRep:

I found it realli hard...i fort GCSE was challenging..i didnt understand at first wot the teacher was teaching and the AS year was realli fast paced...(even tho dey changed da modules now) so be prepared..but u can get der in the end

ReputationRep:
    if u can absorb some discipline while u learn AS maths, u'll succeed even if you haven't done so much maths. it's all about... 'discipline' really, which is the ways to tackle questions...

ReputationRep:
    ok thank u people...:P I'm probz gonna end up doing it What is mechanics ? I'm gonna do pure maths...
    Mechanics is principally the physics of moving objects, spinny things, turny things, slidy things etc. As for maths, if you have an interest in maths and you find GCSe to be non challenging then go for it, however, trying AS (and especially A2) maths with anything lower than a B at GCSe would definately not be advised (especially if you are a student expecting high uni offers).

G-W-D

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who got a D in GCSE Maths and managed to acheive a B in AS Maths (he didn't do A2 though) and apparently he wanted to go into business so he just worked really hard and hired a maths tutor to help him.

But I'm sure with a low grade at GCSE, AS Maths would be very difficult indeed, particularly so if you are studying 3 or 4 other subjects as well:eek:

There are some great revision sites around anyway - if you're doing AQA maths, they have all of the syllabus available for 2005 but you need adobe acrobat.

ReputationRep:
    Just be prepared to do lots of practicing and for AS you should be fine. It is common to do modules of pure maths and mechanics, but depends on your school. I doubt the whole AS will just be pure maths (there'll probably be some statistics too).

ReputationRep:
    And remember. S1 isn't maths. It's number crunching and "rules of thumb" (read: made up rubbish).

ReputationRep:
    hell no. listen in lessons and do plenty of past papers and youll be sound

ReputationRep:
    As long as you make really clear notes and practice loads of questions you'll be fine! I was really lazy and hardly did any of the homework which I really regretted when it came to revision time...I basically had to learn everything again in a fortnight. But keep on top of it and it's well worth it :cool:

I have a question though....how much harder is A2 maths to As? Is it just building on As work or is it completely new stuff? I still don't know whether I should drop it or not....

ReputationRep:
    That's a bit of a silly question to ask off random people who don't know you. Obviously depends what you get in your GCSE maths. If you get A/A* (and put effort in next year), you'll be fine. If you get a B you are likely to find it much more difficult. If you get below a B, you're most probably going to struggle and I personally wouldn't bother taking it.

ReputationRep:
    No, it isn't difficult. In fact A-level maths has one of the highest percentages of candidates acheiving a grade A. Although that may have something to do with poorer mathematicians not opting to do maths A-level because of the image that it's 'hard'.

Honestly, if you got A/A* at GCSE and do all the work you'll be fine.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.