BBC Leaders Special: Corbyn v May - The Final Verdict

Watch
Poll: BBC Question Time Special - who won?
Theresa May (25)
25.51%
Jeremy Corbyn (73)
74.49%
This discussion is closed.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Saunders16)
Please do well tonight, Theresa May.
She did, as far as I was concerned. Much less brittle and spiky, actually got engaged with the audience. Body language and presentation was better - she didn't look sweaty or nervous.

Corbyn on the other hand looked totally out of his depth to me. That point when DD asked him if he wanted to come back at a comment from a member of the audience and he just nervously shook his head and looked away was entirely cringeworthy to me.
_Ddraig_
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JMR2017)
I don't understand why you are obsessed by using a weapon of mass destruction which will kill millions and make our earth uninhabitable...
It's not the obsession of wanting to kill millions of people. A nuclear deterrent is only a good deterrent if it's a credible one. Every time Corbyn refuses to answer the question, he undermines the credibility of the deterrence.
A Slice of Pi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Paracosm)
It really wasn't.
I agree. I think there were one or two occasions where he lost his composure and got a bit snappy, which surprised me as he is usually quite calm.
Hugh_Jass
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BasicMistake)
I consider it an impossible question because I do not believe that anyone can know what they will truly do when they are faced with that situation. It is oh so easy to say that what you would do during a Question Time but if there was a Taepodong-2 heading for London, I expect anyone would reconsider their position, regardless of what it originally was.
With Corbyn as PM, at least we'll die firmly on the moral high ground.
Movementmoments
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
'It's very easy for a socalist to stand there with his little red book but what about all the companies that will leave when you raise corporate tax and where will the corporations go?'

Always know it's going to be good when a question starts with ad hominem

Don't think anyone knows, they obviously show up in the new G8+1 developed economy which has lower corporation tax than all the other G8 countries.
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by A Slice of Pi)
She certainly redeemed herself after the last one; stayed calm despite some tough questions. Corbyn, on the other hand, had a bit of a nightmare when pressed on the use of nuclear weapons, and was much more evasive when it came to the more difficult issues.
She definitely stayed true to the 'Strong and Stable' mantra tonight. She was not particuarly impressive, but in contrast to Corbyn I believe it can be seen as a victory, albeit minor. Corbyn's avoidance of the questions regarding nuclear weapons marred his performance and the point at which he refused to answer a question was somewhat amusing.

What astounds me about the BBC debates, again, is the audience. If they weren't mindlessly cheering for Corbyn in a way they would never do for May, they were ganging together and wasting time on irrelevant issues, whether that be on nuclear weapons or the man screeching at May.
Hugh_Jass
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
She did, as far as I was concerned. Much less brittle and spiky, actually got engaged with the audience. Body language and presentation was better - she didn't look sweaty or nervous.

Corbyn on the other hand looked totally out of his depth to me. That point when DD asked him if he wanted to come back at a comment from a member of the audience and he just nervously shook his head and looked away was entirely cringeworthy to me.
I must have missed that.

I'm spoiling my vote, I can't - I just can't.
Hugh_Jass
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
Bit of a car crash on both sides. But it hasn't made me regret my vote, anyone and anything is better than the Tories.
Please vote Green, then.
TSLW
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Theresa May is, by far, superior.

If Corbyn wins, I see myself leaving this country. And that isn't a flippant remark.
Hugh_Jass
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Doonesbury

Add a 'neither' option please
BasicMistake
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Hugh_Jass)
With Corbyn as PM, at least we'll die firmly on the moral high ground.
Corbyn is as likely to press the button as May.
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Reality Check)

I would say she still seemed slightly nervous, but it wasn't overwhelming or noticeably different to Corbyn. She was definitely much more confident tonight, and as somebody supporting the Conservatives (reluctantly) I am delighted to see that. Corbyn's failed interview earlier this week will likely, and hopefully, hinder any possible gains in the polls as the public begin to give him more of a chance.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Saunders16)
She definitely stayed true to the 'Strong and Stable' mantra tonight. She was not particuarly impressive, but in contrast to Corbyn I believe it can be seen as a victory, albeit minor. Corbyn's avoidance of the questions regarding nuclear weapons marred his performance and the point at which he refused to answer a question was somewhat amusing.

What astounds me about the BBC debates, again, is the audience. If they weren't mindlessly cheering for Corbyn in a way they would never do for May, they were ganging together and wasting time on irrelevant issues, whether that be on nuclear weapons or the man screeching at May.
I think that's less to do with the BBC and more to do with the reality of the Great British Public.
Hugh_Jass
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BasicMistake)
Corbyn is as likely to press the button as May.
So why not say so?

All he said is that he cares more about international relations than retaliation. This is good, but in the context of us being under attack and a missile/bomb heading towards the UK, it isn't.
Hugh_Jass
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TSLW)
Theresa May is, by far, superior.

If Corbyn wins, I see myself leaving this country. And that isn't a flippant remark.
For 4 years at least(?)
Movementmoments
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
"I don't see why everyone is so keen on killing people with a nuclear bomb." Because it means they wont use them on us first.

Sargon said it perfectly.
If by perfect you mean a popular sound bite answer which fails to address the complexities of the issue, then yes, a perfect answer.

On a practical level, if we take the uk as an example, how will nuking the uk stop the uk using nukes when their nukes are on a submarine in the ocean and won't be destroyed by the blast?
This case can be applied to numerous countries across the world.
interact
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Corbyn was poor tonight
JMR2020.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by _Morsey_)
It's not the obsession of wanting to kill millions of people. A nuclear deterrent is only a good deterrent if it's a credible one. Every time Corbyn refuses to answer the question, he undermines the credibility of the deterrence.
The argument that it is a 'deterrent' is purely psychological, and is only credible if we assume that every world leader will behave in a rational manner.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
"I don't see why everyone is so keen on killing people with a nuclear bomb." Because it means they wont use them on us first.

Sargon said it perfectly.
MAD only works if both sides have similar values and ethics. So Russia and China respect and understand MAD.

But such values clearly don't apply to IS and possibly not to the DPRK either.

If we have incoming from anywhere we have all lost anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
BasicMistake
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So why not say so?

All he said is that he cares more about international relations than retaliation. This is good, but in the context of us being under attack and a missile/bomb heading towards the UK, it isn't.
Because he's an idiot.

This is why I think it's an impossible question. The answer is 'Yes, nuke the hell out of them' regardless of how you feel. Because you don't know what you'll do when it all goes to sh*t and the point of a deterrent is just that.

EDIT: And any lunatic brave enough to nuke us thanks to Question Time will do so anyway so just say yes.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (105)
60.34%
No (69)
39.66%

Watched Threads