How can I become Prime minister Watch

teenhorrorstory
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I've been thinking about this and I'd really like to be PM one day. How do i go about this
TheIncredibleZ
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Get into Eton
Get into a good uni (top 10)
Become a politician
Make people like you
UWS
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Be a good liar.
yesmynameis
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
vote labour to make ur mum proud
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Let a dead pig give you a blowjob. Alternatively you could try being strong and stable.
teenhorrorstory
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by TheIncredibleZ)
Get into Eton
Get into a good uni (top 10)
Become a politician
Make people like you
Well Eton is far too late. I went to state comprehensive!
Hopefully come September I should be at a relatively good uni(KCL) to study Law with Politics and Philosophy. Would I start with smaller political roles and then work my way up pretty much?
clumsyorange
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheIncredibleZ)
Make people like you
This step is clearly unnecessary
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Eton - Oxbridge - Be good at telling lots of lies and erm ... pretend to be "strong and stable" ... I guess
Sammylou40
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Start by getting involved in local politics
You're not likely to make PM tbh but you can make a difference on a local level to start with and maybe then as an mp
theangel1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
be yourself
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Join the Illuminati
username2808800
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by teenhorrorstory)
I've been thinking about this and I'd really like to be PM one day. How do i go about this
Start by becoming PM in the tsr model house of commons.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=2443718
join a party and work your way up.
Guy of Gisbourne
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
1. Join either the Labour Party or the Conservatives.
2. Get involved in local politics and become a councillor.
3. Run for a parliamentary seat.
4. Work your way up through the ranks of the party.
5. Run in a leadership contest.
6. Win a general election as party leader.
Mr. Speaker
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Can we please stop with all this Eton nonesense?

David Cameron attended Eton, correct - but without Googling it could you tell me the last PM to have attended Eton? I couldn't!

Alec Douglas-Home, PM between 63 and 64. Granted, his two predecessors Macmillan and Eden were also Etonians. All in all 19 of the past 54 PMs were from Eton, obviously highly disproportional to the 'real world', but still not as big an issue as it is made out to be.

Secondly the Oxbridge stereotype. Yes, 41 of those 54 UK PMs were educated at Oxbridge - but Oxbridge presents a VERY different issue to Eton. Eton shows that we have, it is waning but we still have, a larger than healthy proportion of leaders from one very exclusive club, people who inherit their fortunes etc etc. Oxbridge shows that our leaders are the brightest and the best. They themselves worked hard throughout their education to get given a place at one of the top two education establishments in the country.

While I accept that their are questions to be asked about who the top universities accept, and why they accept them, it seems unfair to criticise our politicians on something that they have, almost always, achieved fairly. After all, politicians make plenty of **** ups whilst in elected office that we should instead focus out time criticising.

EDIT: Forgot to answer the actual question.

Join a party, do it NOW: Labour / Teresa May's Team aka The Conservative and Unionist Party

Attend party meetings, become selected to do something within the party - be it chairman of the local branch, or selected to stand for local elections

Build up contacts throughout the local party - this is especially important for the Labour Party, where the local party has much more of an onus on picking the Parliamentary candidates. Write people emails, introduce yourself, make your name well known throuhout party circles - if you do get chairman or elected councillor then make your name known throughout your area by normal people.

Apply to be selected as a prospective parliamentary candidate. If you're a Tory this will involve some kind of test where they check you're "suitable"

Run an excellent election campaign, get a HUGE majority, make your seat a safe seat (party leaders need to have a safe seat, they don't have much time to focus on their own constituency in elections)

Operate as a backbencher for several parliamentary sessions - get to know people on both sides of the floor, build up contacts, go out with parliamentary party members - every move you make is to make you look good

Run a huge campaign that makes you and your party look amazing, get money for something people want, ensure your local hospital gets the best funding, something like that

Sit tight and wait for your leader to royally screw up (loose an election, get snapped with a hooker by the paparazi, gamble the entire country's economic integrity in a bid to solve a few internal issues and gain some purple votes, only to loose EVERYTHING)

Run for the leadership. Both Labour and the Tories have different rules for this. Labour require that you get 15% of Labour MPs to sign to nominate you - once you meet that criteria the membership vote for you, some of them are "registered supporters" who at the last election were mainly Tories trying to "ruin" Labour. The vote is run using AV, voters rank the candidates they'd like to rank in order of preference - if the person who comes first in the first round doesn't get 50% then the person who came last is eliminated, and ballots with that person as 1st preference have their second preference counted. Eventually someone has 50%, and then you're leader of the Labour Party.

Wanna stand for the Tories? Great! Like the current Tory leader you can skip this step and the next one and become PM without winning anything. The Tories do of course have a system, which has a lot more weight on the MPs. Basically the MPs vote in rounds, in each case one person is eliminated, until two remain. When there are just two it's put to the membership.

Leader of the party? Win an election campaign now (unless your leader royally screwed up whilst being PM, like our last one) then you have the keys to Downing Street.

Good luck!
Teutonics
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Know that Israel and Saudi control the world, and you'll have to be a good goy for them.
The RAR
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Getting to Prime Minister seat is not easy, there is so much you have to go through, your first step I think is to become an MP then you need to work your way through the ranks and hope you can become PM one day.
Ezisola
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
http://www.parliament.uk/about/mps-a...ps/candidates/
Vikingninja
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Pay the Russians.
username3280668
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by teenhorrorstory)
Simple: you don't. Waaaaay too much stress and public scrutiny. Not worth the £150k/year and power.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Teutonics)
Know that Israel and Saudi control the world, and you'll have to be a good goy for them.
Not Saudi, just Israel. The Jews rule the world. I am only beginning to realise the truth.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (33)
7.42%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (262)
58.88%
No (150)
33.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed