The Student Room Group

NHS patients should be made to pay for their hospital meals

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jackieox
Why have you ignored the point made about three times now? What if they are taxpayers?

I'm a bloody taxpayer who has graduated. I believe I should be made to pay for my meals, so why shouldn't they?
Well as a taxpayer, paying considerably more than the OP I must add, I have no issue at all paying for patients' meals.
Original post by Pleasantri
They'd be paying for their food at home (so haven't incurred any additional expense at hospital). Why should I as a taxpayer pay for someone to eat because of their hernia?

Taxpayers pay for me to eat and live outside of hospital. :tongue:
Original post by clumsyorange
^^Are we allowed to express the desire to punch someone in the face on TSR

No, but....
Reply 24
How wonderful for them. I don't expect the taxpayer to pay for me to eat, so why should they?

Why not ask them to pay for their bed too?

These aren't new ideas by the way.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/10870787/NHS-patients-could-be-forced-to-pay-bed-and-board.html

But how much does the meal cost the NHS? The average is less than £10 per patient per day and is approx £500 million per year - that sounds a lot but barely scrapes the sides of the total NHS budget of £110 BILLION.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/nhs-spends-more-on-hospital-food-but-significant-variation-remains

Bottomline: good nutrition is a vital part of healthcare and recovery.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 25
But some people are admitted because they can't afford to eat (eg elderly) or who will be unable to pay themselves (eg abused children). Food is necessary for recovery, so ensuring patients are fed means that they can potentially go home earlier. So your idea may save £5 on a lunch, but cause longer stays which costs £10000+
maybe they should pay for their IV drips... after all when they are at home people pay for drinks.
Original post by the bear
maybe they should pay for their IV drips... after all when they are at home people pay for drinks.

The Left love hyperbole. I of course agree with NHS funded intravenous drugs when they are necessary.
Reply 29

Good point. Well made.
Original post by Doonesbury
Good point. Well made.

Indeed.

As was yours in reply, bumping the thread.
Original post by Doonesbury
Good point. Well made.

As usual, PRSOM.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Well as a taxpayer, paying considerably more than the OP I must add, I have no issue at all paying for patients' meals.

Well good for you. There must though be a nice charitable fund available for you to funnel those generous funds you have available, for people who would have paid anyway to eat ... to eat.
They'd be paying for their food at home (so haven't incurred any additional expense at hospital). Why should I as a taxpayer pay for someone to eat because of their hernia?

I was in hospital last week, for a week. The last thing I wanted is some person like you coming upto me to charge me for food. You'd soon regret it believe me as you'd be in a bed bedside me nursing a broken face.

NHS food is not as bad as people say, the variety and it's rather appetizing, many moan. You only get what you tick in the boxes the day before so no waste thankfully. I was in mo state to be thinking of paying for each meal as I was recovering. So, keep your idiotic idea to yourself. :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SMEGGGY
I was in hospital last week, for a week. The last thing I wanted is some person like you coming upto me to charge me for food. You'd soon regret it believe me as you'd be in a bed bedside me nursing a broken face.

NHS food is not as bad as people say, the variety and it's rather appetizing, many moan. You only get what you tick in the boxes the day before so no waste thankfully. I was in mo state to be thinking of paying for each meal as I was recovering. So, keep your idiotic idea to yourself. :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course not.

That's why I believe in a billing system.
Of course not.

That's why I believe in a billing system.

You carry on believing as that's all it's going to be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't be a heartless dick.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SMEGGGY
You carry on believing as that's all it's going to be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And as I said in earlier on this same thread, my thread applies to meal time only.

I am not prepared to get into a debate on Tory policy on the NHS.
And as I said in earlier on this same thread, my thread applies to meal time only.

I am not prepared to get into a debate on Tory policy on the NHS.

Who mentioned Tory policy on NHS? You're doing it deliberately in order for it to TURN into a Tory policy debate.

:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by babyshawte
Don't be a heartless dick.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And we now get to the heart of Labour policy ... I think with my head for what's best for this country, and not with a bleeding heart Liberal/Labour heart, that I'm a heartless dick?

Quick Reply