Exodus Of Labour Supporters

Watch
PilgrimOfTruth
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Whatever articles I come across on the web I seem to find tales of past Labour supporters who simply can no longer support the current party. Whether it's the split between Blairites or Bennites, the hatred of their "leader" or just the unpalatable policies it's all rather academic.

From a March article in The Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...subscriptions/

"The Labour party have lost 10,850 members over the last four weeks, official party documents have revealed.

Thousands of members have chosen not to renew their subscription to the party and hundreds have resigned- citing Labour's approach to Brexit as the main reason.

The latest figures come after leaked data revealed Labour has lost nearly 26,000 members since last summer"

A poll by YouGov asked what was causing the mass exodus of past Labour supporters. It results were thus:

No surprises there TBH !

This article in the Guardian said "Labour faces catastrophic loss of working-class support"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-class-support

"Bryan Smith is a Labour councillor in Halifax and worries that, nationally, his party is an incoherent, ineffective opposition. “They’re mumbling, basically,” he said. “I don’t think Labour are in the good books with anyone at the moment. I think most people are disappointed with the leadership. Lots of them turn around and say they won’t vote Labour unless there’s a change of leadership. Unfortunately, people aren’t listening at the top.”

"Michael Ward, a former pipe fitter, 63, proves him right. He is a lifelong Labour supporter but says there is no way he could vote for a party with Corbyn as leader. “I’d give it a miss. I wouldn’t vote at all. Until Labour sort themselves out – and I’ve always been a devoted Labour person – they’ll never get in power again. Not the way they are at the moment.”

"There are also signs of party supporters looking for the first time at previously unthinkable options. Margaret Schofield, 67, who worked as a weaver for 47 years, used to vote Labour and more recently has backed Ukip. Now she is thinking about Theresa May. “Labour just aren’t for the working class any more. I wouldn’t trust Corbyn at all,” she says. “I wish Theresa May would get on with Brexit. I would vote for her, and will see how she gets on.”
acd55
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PilgrimOfTruth)
Whatever articles I come across on the web I seem to find tales of past Labour supporters who simply can no longer support the current party. Whether it's the split between Blairites or Bennites, the hatred of their "leader" or just the unpalatable policies it's all rather academic.

From a March article in The Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...subscriptions/

"The Labour party have lost 10,850 members over the last four weeks, official party documents have revealed.

Thousands of members have chosen not to renew their subscription to the party and hundreds have resigned- citing Labour's approach to Brexit as the main reason.

The latest figures come after leaked data revealed Labour has lost nearly 26,000 members since last summer"

A poll by YouGov asked what was causing the mass exodus of past Labour supporters. It results were thus:

No surprises there TBH !

This article in the Guardian said "Labour faces catastrophic loss of working-class support"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-class-support

"Bryan Smith is a Labour councillor in Halifax and worries that, nationally, his party is an incoherent, ineffective opposition. “They’re mumbling, basically,” he said. “I don’t think Labour are in the good books with anyone at the moment. I think most people are disappointed with the leadership. Lots of them turn around and say they won’t vote Labour unless there’s a change of leadership. Unfortunately, people aren’t listening at the top.”

"Michael Ward, a former pipe fitter, 63, proves him right. He is a lifelong Labour supporter but says there is no way he could vote for a party with Corbyn as leader. “I’d give it a miss. I wouldn’t vote at all. Until Labour sort themselves out – and I’ve always been a devoted Labour person – they’ll never get in power again. Not the way they are at the moment.”

"There are also signs of party supporters looking for the first time at previously unthinkable options. Margaret Schofield, 67, who worked as a weaver for 47 years, used to vote Labour and more recently has backed Ukip. Now she is thinking about Theresa May. “Labour just aren’t for the working class any more. I wouldn’t trust Corbyn at all,” she says. “I wish Theresa May would get on with Brexit. I would vote for her, and will see how she gets on.”
I see their point, as I did like blair's policies in general
Would say I am a blairite in some ways and would like to see labour to return to new labour

Posted from TSR Mobile
PilgrimOfTruth
Rep:
(Original post by hpcp)
would like to see labour to return to new labour
In all honesty I think what is needed is something completely new. Not old "new Labour". Blair ruined Labour, lied to the populace and took us into illegal wars for which the UK is now paying the price.

The Labour party is completely torn and there are some 100 Labour MPs standing ready to breakaway and force Corbyn out of his "leadership". This will happen as soon as the election is over. You need to hope that what arises from those ashes is a tangible party that has good core values and clear direction as well as having an affable leader that people can trust. It will be interesting to see what emerges imo.
DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
In all honesty I think what is needed is something completely new. Not old "new Labour". Blair ruined Labour, lied to the populace and took us into illegal wars for which the UK is now paying the price.

The Labour party is completely torn and there are some 100 Labour MPs standing ready to breakaway and force Corbyn out of his "leadership". This will happen as soon as the election is over. You need to hope that what arises from those ashes is a tangible party that has good core values and clear direction as well as having an affable leader that people can trust. It will be interesting to see what emerges imo.
Only if they lose.

It is amazing what a whiff of power does to beliefs. This is not a dig at Labour in particular, the Conservatives after 1997 were a divided party, in many ways they still are, May herself is the compromise between the two main factions within the Conservatives.

The main difference is Labour like airing their family squabbles in public (or rather can't stop themselves) , the Conservatives are better at dealing with these things behind closed doors-May's ascendancy was brokered in meetings as the leadership contest ran.

Now, if she only scrapes in with a small majority it will be interesting to see how cohesive they really are as the Brexit negotiations commence, especially it things do not look like they are going as planned. (Though not that sure there is really that much of a plan, more a wish list from their Wishing Tree)
PilgrimOfTruth
Rep:
(Original post by DJKL)
Only if they lose.
This is denial. No-one in the industry expects anything but a Tory win. The only question is how big a margin she gets. I don't say this flippantly. Politicians, journalists, pollsters, even most Labour MPs expect the Tories to win.

The 100 or so Labour MPs standing ready to oust Corbyn are ready for a reason. They are just waiting for the election defeat to then exercise the breakaway.

A coalition government at this vital time would be a disaster for all. We need firm BrExit negotiations and trying to pacify the needs, whims and rants of multiple parties would totally compromise our position.

This is not really a General Election. It's not an election about general policies, not a typical Lib/Lab/Con election. This is totally an election about BrExit, it's about understanding that BrExit is the most important issue facing us all right now. Get this wrong and the repercussions will be awful, esp for students.

I'm putting aside party political differences this time around and giving the Conservatives my support, for BrExit, nothing else. They need a clear mandate to get the job done.

Next election, absolutely, I'll be voting on general policies.
DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
This is denial. No-one in the industry expects anything but a Tory win. The only question is how big a margin she gets. I don't say this flippantly. Politicians, journalists, pollsters, even most Labour MPs expect the Tories to win.

The 100 or so Labour MPs standing ready to oust Corbyn are ready for a reason. They are just waiting for the election defeat to then exercise the breakaway.

A coalition government at this vital time would be a disaster for all. We need firm BrExit negotiations and trying to pacify the needs, whims and rants of multiple parties would totally compromise our position.

This is not really a General Election. It's not an election about general policies, not a typical Lib/Lab/Con election. This is totally an election about BrExit, it's about understanding that BrExit is the most important issue facing us all right now. Get this wrong and the repercussions will be awful, esp for students.

I'm putting aside party political differences this time around and giving the Conservatives my support, for BrExit, nothing else. They need a clear mandate to get the job done.

Next election, absolutely, I'll be voting on general policies.
I made no comment on chance/possibility, merely that outcome will dictate subsequent behaviour. In similar way a narrow Conservative win will put May's position in the spotlight. I think the chances of a Conservative win are far higher than a Labour win but I would never discount the unexpected, strange things do happen.

Politics is not and has never been a fair sport and within parties it is often far more ruthless than against the official opposition,Each party is akin to a large sack with a lot of cats inside, fighting and scratching to get to the top where there is a little more air.

Re what this election is about you are slightly making the same mistake the Conservatives have made, you assume it is just Brexit, it is fine to have such a belief but if the electorate wish to discuss other issues, and some of them certainly have, a party can take a lot of damage if it trys to resist the flow, the Conservatives attempted to keep it just on Brexit, they failed, the question is can they get it back there over the next 4 days- past performance is no guarantee but if we look at how things have gone it does look like they have failed to control the agenda and I see little sign they can get it back under control.

And re Brexit frankly the big one was last year, now it is merely which party can bandage the self inflicted wounds better than the other, whilst an informal coalition is not the best platform the fault, if it arises, is Mrs May's, she was playing pontoon, she likely had a hand that could win with her majority but she decided to draw another card, her choice. On Thursday she will either have an even stronger hand or be bust, and a smaller majority within her own party equates to being bust, politically she will be a Dead Woman Walking.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (30)
7.09%
October 2021 (194)
45.86%
November 2021 (44)
10.4%
December 2021 (56)
13.24%
January 2021 (46)
10.87%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (39)
9.22%