Turn on thread page Beta

KCL vs. Loughborough watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    well if there's one thing Ive learnt from reading these forums over the past few months, there are a lot of bigoted people that think that any university other than their own is crap, especially one which very few people here attend to defend it, such as lufbra.

All I can say is that I love it at the university I attend and I'm very proud to call myself one of it's students and I could only imagine someone slating it because they probably know very little about it.

ReputationRep:
    All your opinions, although varied... are great! Because it's really making me think about all this, which should be the case because it's not a new shade of lipgloss or anything like that, it's my future...!

Anyway, keep the opinions coming..! JUst to let the Lufbra supporters know that I'm not discounting your uni completely, the Brit Council here is having an exhibition today and I'm going to be a traitor (I work for the AUstralian Higher Ed service!) and ask the counsellors what they think of my choices.... and since a rep. from Lufbra is conveniently turning up, I think I'll bombard him with a looonngg list of questions too.

Personal opinions from people who've been to either mean a LOT more though, because unlike prospectus' trying to suck new students in, you guys don't lie!

ReputationRep:

Look what I got today. The Lboro rep. seemed really nice, if all people there are that nice, I'm sure I'd love it! Then I saw a few pictures of the town... and well, I still can't decide.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much about your course to be honest, but in terms of general reputation, prestige and employability, I'd say KCL wins hands down You'll also have a non-stop social life in London, and there's plenty of international students around too which might help you settle in. KCL (and the Uni of London as a whole) is likely to be more recognised internationally than Loughborough, which may be a factor if you intend to leave the UK again when you're working. The final decision, though, has to be wherever you think you'll be happiest. Have a look at www.unofficial-guides.com for some more info on the two unis and good luck!

(Original post by asdasdagaga)
    You fat ****, Loughborough is much better than King's. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/display...,32607,00.html
    King's college is 0 comparing to LSE and IC and UCL, so stop trying to push towards them - King's is inferior. And when you are talking about the business department, Loughborough is Harvard and King's is TVU.
    What ****ing drugs have you been taking, you retard? I'm going to the LSE in 4 weeks and I know KCL is vastly superior to polyloughborough.

The Times may hate KCL but the Guardian ranks it correctly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdasdagaga)
    You fat ****, Loughborough is much better than King's. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/display...,32607,00.html
    King's college is 0 comparing to LSE and IC and UCL, so stop trying to push towards them - King's is inferior. And when you are talking about the business department, Loughborough is Harvard and King's is TVU.
    Oh I'm sorry. I thought you were being serious until you mentioned the Times league tables.

ReputationRep:
    Id only choose Loughborough if i was an athlete tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    Oh I'm sorry. I thought you were being serious until you mentioned the Times league tables.
    It's better than other tables available.

ReputationRep:
    Well to be honest kingslaw, biggles etc, your comments are so laughably biased I dont see how your opinions can possibly be taken serious.

Before knocking another university why dont you try do a bit of research on it first, or is that too much for people who seem to be trying to justify the quality of their own university (or at least one they value far higher than lufbra for undisclosed reasons) over another to themselves rather than to other people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sean_lufbra)
    Well to be honest kingslaw, biggles etc, your comments are so laughably biased I dont see how your opinions can possibly be taken serious.

Before knocking another university why dont you try do a bit of research on it first, or is that too much for people who seem to be trying to justify the quality of their own university (or at least one they value far higher than lufbra for undisclosed reasons) over another to themselves rather than to other people.
    I have absolutely no reason to be biased on this subject and i would take Kings - better pedigree and international reputation. A flash in the pan position in the Times table doesnt cancel out almost two centuries of academic excellence and influence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sean_lufbra)

I have never pretended to be anything other than biased. The reason I'm biased? Well, because I'm going to Kings. Why did I apply to Kings and not Loughborough? Because on the research I did before applying, I saw that Kings, as well as many other universities, were better established in the field I want to enter both domestically and internationally.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I'd applied to L'boro....nice ratio of male to female students

ReputationRep:
    Kcl.

ReputationRep:
    Visit Loughborough if you haven't yet done so. You might really like the place and want to spend the next 3-4 years studying there. I would personally go to KCL because of it's better reputation and therefore, may have an effect on your job prospects. However, if enjoying the next 3-4 years of your life studying is more important, then I would give both a good close look first.

ReputationRep:
    Would if I could! But I live on the other side of the world, so I just have pictures and researched info to base my decision on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justcallmefoxxy)
    Would if I could! But I live on the other side of the world, so I just have pictures and researched info to base my decision on
    If you graduate from KCL youl be in posession of a University of London degree which is up there with anything from Oxford/Cambridge/Harvard/Yale etc in terms of international recognition. Go to Loughborough and and you get a degree which isnt even especially well regarded in the UK (not to say that the university isnt any good, it obviously is but it doesnt exactly have any name value or renown.)

I would say that if you’re serious about sports go to l-roughpoly. But then I read that KCL has won more medals in the current Olympics than l-roughpoly (a KCL student and a KCL alumni have won some models, according to the kcl website).

The fact that anyone could honestly ask whether l-roughpoly is better than KCL shows just how poorly it is viewed amongst under 21 year olds. KCL has many outstanding departments but this fails to translate to those A-level and underdrad kids.

Tis a pity.

For them

ReputationRep:
    Not incredibly into sports! I swim occassionally to tan and keep fit, but I'm not a sports buff or anything like that!

I've decided to apply KCL, Loughborough and Manchester, and then try for scholarships here, mentioning all 3 in my proposal and letting the sponsoring firm decide? If I can't get a scholarship (worst case scenario) then... probably KCL.

Not because I look down on Loughborough...! But because what they say about Loughborough's international reputation is true... most people haven't heard of it, when you say Uni of London though, everyone perks up.
    Job recruiters outside of the UK may be very misled, but they are my future employers! Gotta go with it.

ReputationRep:
    Can I just say, like Sean I have to reply to the people who slated Loughborough.

I go to Loughborough, and I'm doing a business degree. Firstly, the degree is V.HIGHLY valued by British employers. 3 first year girls from Loughborough were picked by GTI to attened a Investment Banking Conference in London hosted by HSBC. There were only 500 places and I was told by the supervisor that Loughborough students were given a chance to apply as the teaching standards were high and the placement often taught students how to implement theory learnt in Year 1 and 2 into real life. Undergraduate Students working at HSBC in year 3 were also offered a chance to work with them once they had graduated with their 4th year fees PAID for them

I myself was offered a job with a legal firm, and the recruitment consultant said that Loughborough Grads are highly desired and the placement I did in Year 3 was one of the reasons I was shortlisted.

Loughborough doesn't have the clubs like London but we have an excellent union and it's being with your friends and having a laugh that counts really.

I'm so proud to say I went to loughborough as I had a excellent time. THe teaching was brilliant and I have a great job.

Please don't let comments dissmissing loughborough as a polytech (which it isn't!) put you off. Please e-mail me if you change your mind.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggles)
    How can you mention both in the same sentence? KCL is vastly superior to Loughborough - it's a bit like asking "which is better: LSE or Queen Mary?" : rolls eyes
    They are on a par. Although, Loughborough has better teaching.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.