Ludmilag232
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
help help help help.. what do you need to know for the required practicals in AQA biology? Especially the enzyme practical, do you need to know the methods for all factors affecting enzyme controlled reactions? Also if anyone knows any good resources for revising required practicals let me know please I have too much detail in my lab book.
Rexx18
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ludmilag232)
help help help help.. what do you need to know for the required practicals in AQA biology? Especially the enzyme practical, do you need to know the methods for all factors affecting enzyme controlled reactions? Also if anyone knows any good resources for revising required practicals let me know please I have too much detail in my lab book.
As far as my teachers told me, you only need to know the general ideas behind each of the required practicals, rather than specific details such as names of chemicals used (as it is in chemistry). In biology, you'll likely get a question where a long paragraph of text describes a practical similar to one which you would have done, in which case you go and answer it using the info given and what you've learnt from doing the practical yourself. It's not very likely where you'll just have a question that says "Outline an experiment you could do to investigate..."

For example, with the enzyme one, you need to know which variables are kept constant and why, what you're measuring, the biological reasoning behind it as well as the interpretation of your results. It's not likely they would, for example, require you to state that catalase catalyses the breakdown of hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen. You're more likely to be provided with such details in the question body, or a slight variation if it's an experiment similar to yours. You could be asked for brief practical details and then biology-focused questions, such as how enzymes work, etc. Describe and explain graphs are also common.

If you do chemistry as well, you'll notice with biology that practical-centred questions are far easier in biology than they are in chemistry.
Ludmilag232
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Rexx18)
As far as my teachers told me, you only need to know the general ideas behind each of the required practicals, rather than specific details such as names of chemicals used (as it is in chemistry). In biology, you'll likely get a question where a long paragraph of text describes a practical similar to one which you would have done, in which case you go and answer it using the info given and what you've learnt from doing the practical yourself. It's not very likely where you'll just have a question that says "Outline an experiment you could do to investigate..."

For example, with the enzyme one, you need to know which variables are kept constant and why, what you're measuring, the biological reasoning behind it as well as the interpretation of your results. It's not likely they would, for example, require you to state that catalase catalyses the breakdown of hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen. You're more likely to be provided with such details in the question body, or a slight variation if it's an experiment similar to yours. You could be asked for brief practical details and then biology-focused questions, such as how enzymes work, etc. Describe and explain graphs are also common.

If you do chemistry as well, you'll notice with biology that practical-centred questions are far easier in biology than they are in chemistry.
Oh I see that's great, thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (3)
12.5%
Disagree (3)
12.5%
Neither agree or disagree (7)
29.17%
Agree (6)
25%
Strongly Agree (5)
20.83%

Watched Threads