The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Definitely not the greatest.

And America is one/two continent(s), not a country.
Original post by Pulse.
Many of you are ignorant of the peace and prosperity that the US has overseen and facilitated in the past century. A global power that has single handedly created a resilient and mutally beneficial multilateral international political and economic system. Long live America.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Long live america land of the free
Original post by Sarahsez
There are two types of countries in this world: countries who use the metric system and countries who have been to the moon.

fun fact : NASA uses metric system

http://www.space.com/3332-nasa-finally-metric.html
Original post by HucktheForde
fun fact : NASA uses metric system

http://www.space.com/3332-nasa-finally-metric.html
Original post by Sarahsez

your deaf?
Here's the thing about America. Never before has the world seen a country like America. The nation states we know to day were forged for the most parts from kings and emperors. America is different, it was founded on an idea - the idea that "people are endowed by their creator with certain unaliable rights, amoung those are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" Those ideas are the very fabric of american being, and they make up the foundation of the American Dream. That dream, that idea is what makes America great - that you can come to America, work hard and get to where you want to be.

Now I'll be the first to admit that that hasn't been the case in the past - but the idea is still there, and it serves as inspiration to millions upon millions of people - it has inspired innovation the likes of which this world has never seen, it's created Hollywood, McDonalds, It's put a man on the moon and it's kept freedom in our hearts.

America may not lead the world in metrics, but it leads the world in ideals. American culture permeates through the west and is making headway in other parts of the world as well,

I'd also be remiss to remind you that while a lot of countries on those metrics may have low literacy, lower life expectancy, etc because they're not as developed, America is different. It is because people are free to live their lives how they want to live them. Now that may not mean that they live their lives in the ideal way, they may not end up earning the most amount of money, and they may die earlier but but they have the freedom to choose what they do in this world and how they leave their mark - and that's something to be envious of.

Yes America may not be perfect, no country is and no country ever will be, but the ideals that embody America, and it's spirit - they're pretty great.
(edited 6 years ago)
President Trump needs to make America great again! TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP!

Original post by Unown Uzer
President Trump needs to make America great again! TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP!
Americans are so blindly patriotic that it's scary - it reminds me of a cult. You can't criticise American foreign policy online without being labelled as a member of Isis. America (and the west generally) commits countless war crimes abroad and nobody is ever held to account. They have deep links with messed up countries like Saudi Arabia and they let Israel get away with murder (literally). They invade countries for their own political and financial gain and then proclaim to be the saviour of the free world.

In short, America is hypocritical and very very scary.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Tip for any Americans we have in - "Chasing the American dream" doesn't count as exercise, fatty.

:rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Michael_Fishy
Here's the thing about America. Never before has the world seen a country like America. The nation states we know to day were forged for the most parts from kings and emperors. America is different, it was founded on an idea - the idea that "people are endowed by their creator with certain unaliable rights, amoung those are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" Those ideas are the very fabric of american being, and they make up the foundation of the American Dream. That dream, that idea is what makes America great - that you can come to America, work hard and get to where you want to be.

Now I'll be the first to admit that that hasn't been the case in the past - but the idea is still there, and it serves as inspiration to millions upon millions of people - it has inspired innovation the likes of which this world has never seen, it's created Hollywood, McDonalds, It's put a man on the moon and it's kept freedom in our hearts.

America may not lead the world in metrics, but it leads the world in ideals. American culture permeates through the west and is making headway in other parts of the world as well,

I'd also be remiss to remind you that while a lot of countries on those metrics may have low literacy, lower life expectancy, etc because they're not as developed, America is different. It is because people are free to live their lives how they want to live them. Now that may not mean that they live their lives in the ideal way, they may not end up earning the most amount of money, and they may die earlier but but they have the freedom to choose what they do in this world and how they leave their mark - and that's something to be envious of.

Yes America may not be perfect, no country is and no country ever will be, but the ideals that embody America, and it's spirit - they're pretty great.

This made me crimge.

Belgium has freedom. Switzerland has freedom. Hong Kong, Singapore, Finland, Estonia, Ireland....the list goes on. Almost the entire developed world can be classified as 'free', and in a lot of the freedoms, USA was nowhere near the first one to adopt them.

So I suggest you stop living under your rock. There is literally nothing special about the 'American freedom'.
Have to agree with the title, it's great :smile:

Christopher Columbus *cough*cough*
Reply 33
Original post by Steljoy
Yeah ikr! Have to defend my country :rofl:

Oh **** off you talk like an autistic idiot on this forum anyway
Original post by Thomazo
This made me crimge.

Belgium has freedom. Switzerland has freedom. Hong Kong, Singapore, Finland, Estonia, Ireland....the list goes on. Almost the entire developed world can be classified as 'free', and in a lot of the freedoms, USA was nowhere near the first one to adopt them.

So I suggest you stop living under your rock. There is literally nothing special about the 'American freedom'.

None of these countries had the freedom that the US had first - the USA the oldest codified constitution in the world. Also, the USA is the only country with anything like the first ammendment, where you are free to say whatever you want without consequence of the law (excluding calls to action)

Singapore is far from free, but I'm not going to nitpick your examples.

Other countries may be free, but freedom is built into the very core of America, woven into the intricate tappestry of their society - it is fundemental to both the culture and the politics on a level that no other country can rival. The importance they give freedom is what sets them apart from other 'free' nations in that respect.
Christopher Columbus *cough*cough*

Did not create the United States of America
None of these countries had the freedom that the US had first - the USA the oldest codified constitution in the world. Also, the USA is the only country with anything like the first ammendment, where you are free to say whatever you want without consequence of the law (excluding calls to action)

Other countries may be free, but freedom is built into the very core of America, woven into the intricate tappestry of their society - it is fundemental to both the culture and the politics on a level that no other country can rival. The importance they give freedom is what sets them apart from other 'free' nations in that respect.

Andrew Jackson. *cough*cough*
Andrew Jackson. *cough*cough*

I'm not American, but I do love the USA.

I hate the foreign policy, I hate the savage and brutal healthcare system, it's also the birthplace of some of the most underhanded and modernised capitalism in the world (wall street has ****ed the entire world repeatedly).

Now, saying that, I've spent a long time in the USA, especially in the very sparsely populated areas that exist in Montana, Wyoming, Washington state, and California. The people in these places are wonderful, beautiful people, along with the landscapes that exist there - the ideals and the landscape seem to co-exist and feed off of each other, which is why I love the USA.

Being in those areas, you have the most fundamental feeling of being free and self-dependant. But, places like Seattle, LA, or other cities, it is nothing like, obviously.

So, the reason the USA is great (in my eyes) is because of the very fact there is still land to escape, which is what holds the heart of the old american ideals.

The country is great, but the government and some of the ideologies that have come from there are awful.
(edited 6 years ago)
Trump will make "America great again".
It's not the greatest, but America is far better than the UK that's for sure.

Latest

Trending

Trending