x Turn on thread page Beta

nanotechnology? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi guys
    have any of u heard of this nanotechnology
    its supposed to be the next "big thing" after IT
    does anyone know when its going to happen
    i mean is it work doing a related degree now to prepare for it or is it something for the next gen ( our kids careers)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cybersam3d)
    hi guys
    i mean is it work doing a related degree now to prepare for it or is it something for the next gen ( our kids careers)
    Hello, I'm a nanotechnologist (of a kind) and I can quite happily inform you that it is happening now. Related degrees are Engineering, Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Pharmacy (poss medicine too). It is certainly worth getting into now (big bucks).

Nanotech is the construction of devices at the nanometre scale (10^-9 of a metre) i.e. basically using individual atoms and molecules as building blocks. It's applications include superfast computing, display technology and drug delivery. Basically nanotech has applications across science and medicine and thus you could approach it from many different angles - core research mostly occurs in the Chemistry/Physics interface and in Engineering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Hello, I'm a nanotechnologist (of a kind) and I can quite happily inform you that it is happening now. Related degrees are Engineering, Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Pharmacy (poss medicine too). It is certainly worth getting into now (big bucks).

Nanotech is the construction of devices at the nanometre scale (10^-9 of a metre) i.e. basically using individual atoms and molecules as building blocks. It's applications include superfast computing, display technology and drug delivery. Basically nanotech has applications across science and medicine and thus you could approach it from many different angles - core research mostly occurs in the Chemistry/Physics interface and in Engineering.
    I think I heard that Computer Science can lead to it as you do do harware and software engineering as a part of it (though obviously its not as good as Physics or Engineering) and some courses for Computer Science involve learning the Physics behind how the devices work (or so I've heard). I hope this is right because I wouldn't mind going into ntech either.

ReputationRep:
    hi guys

PM Shiny. This is sooo his field!

ReputationRep:
    hi guys
    It's not really a case of when it's going to happen. It has already happened. Progress has already been made in nanotechnology although the ultimate goal is to create self-sufficient, self-replicating nanobots. The so-called GreyGoo scenario describes the ill-consequences of this but is largely in the realm of science fiction. So far scientists have incorporated nanoparticles into various products, most notably sun cream, and have among other things spelled out words onto metal plates by manipulating individual atoms and created tiny molecular scissors.

ReputationRep:
    PREY was a good book, although I think programming them to that extent is probably a way off. Don't know alot about it, but it sounds like an interesting field to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    Progress has already been made in nanotechnology although the ultimate goal is to create self-sufficient, self-replicating nanobots.
    Is it? That's news to me and it's my field of research!

ReputationRep:
    hi guys
    UCL has a department called "The London Centre for Nanotechnology".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    I think I heard that Computer Science can lead to it as you do do harware and software engineering as a part of it (though obviously its not as good as Physics or Engineering) and some courses for Computer Science involve learning the Physics behind how the devices work (or so I've heard). I hope this is right because I wouldn't mind going into ntech either.
    You can go into into from comp sci, but I would say engineering and physics are much better for it (i.e. I would be looking for Engineering and Physics depts to do your PhD in). Nanotech is hardware so it's development will be lab-based usually.

ReputationRep:
    Hi UKL users. I'm a new user - in fact this is my first post! I think nanotechnology is an esciting prospects especially in medicine. I'm not sure but I think I remember watching a documentary on it and on it they linked nanobots to possible cures of canser tumours, and as an antigen immobiliser.

(Original post by Ankit D)
    Hi UKL users. I'm a new user - in fact this is my first post! I think nanotechnology is an esciting prospects especially in medicine. I'm not sure but I think I remember watching a documentary on it and on it they linked nanobots to possible cures of canser tumours, and as an antigen immobiliser.
    Hi. Erm, good good.

ReputationRep:
    if you wanna make money off this dont go into this field go into business and finance the scientists and then take all of their profits haha, just kidding, But i have a question too, I heard they are trying to create them to be able to fix individual damaged cells and reverse the aging process.. is that possible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    if you wanna make money off this dont go into this field go into business and finance the scientists and then take all of their profits haha, just kidding, But i have a question too, I heard they are trying to create them to be able to fix individual damaged cells and reverse the aging process.. is that possible?

I think it is. Think of Nanobots as builders who happen to be the size of atoms, they erect scaffolding around your cells, re-plaster the walls, put in central heating, fix the leaky roof and the result gives you the appearance of a much younger person.

ReputationRep:
    Carbon nano-tubes are extremely strong, and could pave the way for some awesome properties in materials.

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking forward to a career in Nanotech for years now! Have been trying to build a decent academic route since GCSE

Am about to go off and do Electrical&Electronic Engineering and hope that leads me on the right path (may combine with Physics, thank you Edinburgh for being so flexible!). This is definitely one field to be involved in, there are so many applications across biology, chemistry, physics, computing...it's quite swish (for want of a better word...)!

Admittedly I'm slightly excited by the prospect of nanotechnology, that, or a career as an electrician. Either way it commands respect

(There's a great deal of collaboration in this field between the three sciences, that's what I find most impressive)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)
    Carbon nano-tubes are extremely strong, and could pave the way for some awesome properties in materials.
    There are some impressive developments from this in terms of material science. Also another fascinating outcome is their use in next generation memory! These tubes get everywhere...(and to think it all goes back to C60! (the buckyball ))

Some fascinating aspects have been via the STM (Scanning Tunnelling Microscope), creating atomic level formations of atoms and investigating their properties. A guy (Dr Don Eigler from IBM) created ellipses of atoms and showed how the foci can be used to 'cross over' information transport by electron paths, I mean, wow! If that could be implemented in microchips that would solve so many layering problems etc. Okay, time to take my sedatives...

ReputationRep:
    hi guys
    If you are using a pentium processor to post this thread, then you are using nano-technology. The gates of the FET tranistors inside it are only some 100 nanometers wide. Nanotech has already happened.

ReputationRep:
    Computers based on biotechnology will be the next great advancement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    if you wanna make money off this dont go into this field go into business and finance the scientists and then take all of their profits haha, just kidding
    Why? Sounds like a perfectly reasonable idea to me ....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    Computers based on biotechnology will be the next great advancement.
    Said like a true Voyager fan...!

I believe Quantum and Optical computing will be the next significant breakthroughs (or said implementation of atomic level nanotechnology from previous post to current technology). To be fair I believe our current technology and adaptations thereof will be here for a while to come, it's fairly proven and we're always developing new ways to squeeze more out (though I assume current tunnelling at such small scales is becoming an issue).

Long way off bio neural gel packs...maybe not isolinear chips though...shoot me...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.