The Student Room Group

Under-18's Journalism

I read multiple newspapers on a daily basis, and upon reading a blatantly factually flawed article about youth by a long-standing journalist, I thought to myself: why not take up journalism?

It's one of few occupations where age matters little, as long as the content is of a decent standard. Certain newspapers seem to even endorse teenage journalism, to an extent.

I'm not too concerned about building a personal brand, or pursuing journalism as a lifelong career, but I would like to get a few articles published. I understand that it could take months, even years of submitting dozens of articles, just to get published on one minor platform, but even that would be an achievement.

However, there are a few problems.

- I have no online presence at all with my IRL name. It's possible to find, at the very least, social media accounts of most published writers, if not Wikipedia pages, blogs, and the like. I could almost be a fake identity, as far as any media is concerned. Will that matter, or should/how I build an online presence.

- I'm not what most people think of as a "teen journalist". To put that into perspective, I'm well under 14. Will this matter to prospective publishers? If not, I am prepared to add a few years to my age.

Any help would be much appreciated- I understand that this is a niche area which few people will have experience in.
I'd recommend making an application for some online teen magazines, have you heard of Affinity? There your age really doesn't matter. Just keep writing and keep sending your articles to different outlets and if you're good you'll get published! Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Bump! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending