TheJamesHill
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am currently doing a 'Medicine through time' past paper as my exam in coming up in a few days and was wondering any tips for answering the different types of questions:

4 markers
9 markers
12 markers
16 markers

Any help would be really appreciated
NuttyPancake1234
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello, I am also currently revising for the 'Medicine through time' exam! I don't want to ramble too much, so i'll just list a few tips below for each type of question! I hope this helps, and Good Luck for Monday!

4 markers:
If I remember correctly, I don't think there are any 4 markers in the newer past papers (2015 onwards), however, it's always good to get as much practice as you can. For this type of question (just in case it does come up) I would limit myself to one to two points, preferably one. As long as you provide sufficient evidence, and a good explanation, then you'll be fine!

9 markers:-
I usually tend to come up with 3 points -For some 9 markers, you need to do a conclusion.- Evidence- e.g. The X ray was discovered in 1895. BUT make sure it links with the point!- Explanation- When explaining, I usually come up with 2 or 3 points which link in with my evidence and point. For example, if the question was about the Four Humours, you wouldn't just mention that the concept was used to treat people, it was also the basis of medicine as the idea was accepted by the Church and that it was seen as just an explanations for everything. You could also mention that it didn't encourage people to come up with their own ideas etc...-LINK - I CANNOT put into words how important a LINK is. This is mainly because examiners are looking for how your answer is structured, and how is refers to the question. I usually start my line off with 'Overall...'

12 Markers:-
If you are aiming to get 12/12 on this question, I would make a table for your plan. You be reading what I just said and be thinking 'Why?', well if you get asked a questions along the lines of 'how far do you agree?' then do a table with reason why you do agree and reason why you don't. -I mainly stick to doing and intro, 3 paragraphs, then a conclusion. - 12 markers, as well as 16 markers, enable you to show off your skills, so use it to your advantage!- Make sure you write links at the end of the paragraphs, as well as in the conclusion. -I usually start off my conclusion with 'Overall... I agree that...' and come up with a few more points to support why I agree or disagree, depending on how you feel about the question and your opinion AND/OR reiterate what I said in previous paragraphs.-I cannot express how important it is to explore the significance. For example, if the questions said 'why was Jenner so important.. etc;, then in your conclusion, you should discuss the significance of his work, and WHY he was/ wasn't important (based on your opinion and how many points you can think of!)

16 markers:
-OH, the question that a lot of people are afraid of!- It sounds silly, but when writing your answer to the question, make sure you are reading over you work and correcting any Spelling or Grammar mistakes, since you get an extra 4 marks if it's all up to a high standard!- TIMING. As you already know, timing is a big issue amongst a lot of students, including me! That its why I tend to always do the 16 marker first, as it is worth the most marks!- Planning your answer is extremely important for all questions, but especially this one! Yet again, I make a table and jot down some points. - For this question, I stick to the structure of an introduction, 4 paragraphs, and a conclusion. If you structure your answer this way, then you will be able to show the examiner different points, as well as being critical and forming your own judicious argument (which is on the majority, if not all, of the mark schemes!!)

I think you are completing past papers which are different from the one that will be in out exam, as i've been told that we will have:
1) 8 marker - What do sources A and B show...
2) 6 marker - choose one and describe key features... (aim for 2 points)
3) 8 marker - e.g. - How useful is this... Use source.. and ... to help you.
4)and 5) A CHOICE between two questions. 'why was...' 'Why was this important...' - 12 marker
6) or 7) A choice - It will be likely that they will give us a statement, and the question coulee be 'Do you agree?' - 16 marker. For these, I use all of the same points that I mentioned earlier for the questions you asked about.

I am going to give you an example of an introduction that i've written for a 12 marker, since a lot of people struggle to form an effective intro, without making it too long! I hope it helps.

Why did religion play such an important role in medicine in the Middle Ages? (12)

In the Middle Ages, Religion was an important factor when finding causes, and treating people. In the Church, Monks and nuns treated and cared for people who were suffering, and used Religion as the main source of treating them. Overall, Religion played such an important role in medicine in the Middle Ages, due to the amount of care that was provided through the use of Religion.

Anyway, I hope I helped! It took me a while to write this, so I would appreciate it if you read all of it I'm sure you'll do well in the exam. Don't panic!
TheJamesHill
Rep:
?
Cheers NuttyPancake1234 (Loving the name btw) thanks for the advice
NuttyPancake1234
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheJamesHill)
Cheers NuttyPancake1234 (Loving the name btw) thanks for the advice

haha Thank you

No problem, Good Luck!
office
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
any predictions for topics that could come up for the medicine through time paper ?
NuttyPancake1234
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hbarai)
any predictions for topics that could come up for the medicine through time paper ?
Personally, I think that there will be quite a lot on the Middle Ages! That's just a prediction though! I'll probably be wrong

Good luck
office
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by NuttyPancake1234)
Personally, I think that there will be quite a lot on the Middle Ages! That's just a prediction though! I'll probably be wrong

Good luck

Ah I hate the middle ages. Just to make sure, are these the main topics in that period: causes (Church agrees with Galen's Theory of Opposites so natural causes and also miasma, supernatural causes such as God) ; treatment (use traditional herbal remedies, can be treated by Quacks, Wisewomen and Physicians, also have barber surgeons, physicians only taught Galen and they use urine charts/astrology to find right treatment) ; public health ( as towns expand, problems of public health increase so a link is seen and people take bit of action, govt is fighting crusades but local council takes some action such as fining for litter, 1348 Black Death) ?

What points are there for an essay on public health in middle ages? I really have no clue
NuttyPancake1234
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hbarai)
Ah I hate the middle ages. Just to make sure, are these the main topics in that period: causes (Church agrees with Galen's Theory of Opposites so natural causes and also miasma, supernatural causes such as God) ; treatment (use traditional herbal remedies, can be treated by Quacks, Wisewomen and Physicians, also have barber surgeons, physicians only taught Galen and they use urine charts/astrology to find right treatment) ; public health ( as towns expand, problems of public health increase so a link is seen and people take bit of action, govt is fighting crusades but local council takes some action such as fining for litter, 1348 Black Death) ?

What points are there for an essay on public health in middle ages? I really have no clue

I think that's all of them!

I think if they were to ask us a question about public health in the Middle Ages, it will be a comparison to the Romans public health. 'How far has public health continued from this period (Romans) ... to the Middle Ages?
Something like that
NuttyPancake1234
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was wrong then! There was a lot on public health!
TheJamesHill
Rep:
?
How did everyone find it???
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (422)
67.41%
No (204)
32.59%

Watched Threads